Internet only connects when I use landline phone!

nikki-red

Hi!

My broadband connection has been rubbish for a couple of weeks now, however Ive not been able to connect at all since yesterday morning.

After messing around a bit its come to light that I can only get online while Im on the telephone!

I rang AOL who told me it will be the filter and are sending me a new one out. However Ive just found a filter out thats never been used, and the problem is still the same.

Has anyone got any ideas? Nothing too complicated tho as Im a bit dim when it comes to this sort of thing :roll:

(Im only managing to post this now as Ive been on hold with AOL forever :hihi:)

Thanks for any replies.

def leave the router on all the time, and my guess would be the filter - or a wiring issue.

Do you have filters on every phone that is plugged into the line? You need them on each one.

Check the condition of any wiring. Plug the router into the master phone socket, and unplug everything else - see what happens then.

Has anyone got any ideas? Nothing too complicated tho as Im a bit dim when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm afraid it's going to be a little complicated.

If nothing has changed at your end (except for your new filter), then it's probably a line fault.

However first check that you have the same symptoms when you're connecting directly to the test socket behind the faceplate at the master socket.

If so then try a Quiet Line Test (17070 option 2, may not be available if you pay line rental to AOL) using a corded phone in the test socket.

If there's any noise on the QL Test then report it as a phone line fault to whomever you pay line rental.

If the QL Test is clear then it's an ADSL fault that you need to get AOL to fix. Be prepared for a struggle :-)

See also this thread

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=573265

Good luck.

Thanks everyone,

Well AOL checked my line and said the voltage was too high, I was told to take the front plate off the master socket so they could check this.

He ran the test and said it was still failing and that it proved it was an external line fault so booked me a time for an engineer to come out.

I screwed the front plate back on and reconnected everything and..........the green light internet light came on the router!

Dont know what happened but its been fine ever since (touch wood!)