Stolen! 'Steel Henge' at Centenary Riverside Nature Park, Templeborough

You know the country is in a mess when people have financial incentive to steal scrap metal in the form of a sculpture.

Men need honest work with fair pay.

What a shame - I'd filmed this on behalf of a corporate client last year and it was a really good thing for Rotherham. The plans for the area were fantastic too.

And yet nobody thought to increase police patrols or security?

It doesn't look like it.

The Trust can't station staff out on a reserve all night, and even if they did, these people are professional, well-equipped, and likely dangerous. This is the responsibility of the police to deal with.

I am very disappointed that they were able to return last night to steal more when it seemed so likely that they would. And I don't hold out much hope for the last crossbeam, either. Hugely frustrating.

The uprights are concreted in, so we can at least hope that they'll be left.

Along with the red deer killed on Blacka Moor and the stone from the walls stolen from Carr House Meadows, this is not a great week for the Trust.

Aren't giant steel structures a bit of an odd thing to have in a nature reserve? Not very natural, are they?

Along with the red deer killed on Blacka Moor and the stone from the walls stolen from Carr House Meadows, this is not a great week for the Trust.

What was the red deer incident? That sounds more serious.

This is a new low for these scoundrals! They have no compassion or thought for anyones hard work and makes me sick!

When I was moving some scrap bandit no good jobsworth scrounging theiving unshaven dirty scoundrals tried to take my washing machine, all within 2 seconds of me getting it out the van and placing it by the door whil eI opened it!!

They really tick me off these people, they think they are untouchable and take whatever they want!! Something is needed to crack down on this problem. If I ever have any scrap metal I weigh it in myself now, dont give them the satisfaction.

Aren't giant steel structures a bit of an odd thing to have in a nature reserve? Not very natural, are they?

If you follow the link in the op, you'll find more information, but basically Centenary Riverside is a new nature reserve created on an ex industrial site along the Don in Rotherham. It has two purposes: to act as a nature park for the benefit of wildlife and local people, and as flood alleviation by acting as a catchment for large quanities of water in times of heavy rain.

The sculptures on site were created from materials found while excavating the area to create the park/flood alleviation. It seemed fitting to use them to provide artwork for the site, adding interest for visitors and reflecting the site's - and indeed the area's - history.

The red deer incident on Blacka Moor is indeed a nasty thing. Members of the reserves team found part of the deer in the car park (not sure if it was Stony Ridge or Strawberry Lea) on Monday morning.

The police and Wildlife Officers have been informed. They reckon it was poachers, and that they leave part of the deer in a prominent place as a sort of two-fingered salute. Nice kind of person, eh? I was going to start a new thread, because it's pretty deserving of its own outrage. Plus we could do with people keeping an eye out.

nicking sculptures for scrap has been going on for a long time. why dont they nick something with no sculptural integrity like the angel of the north?

Love it! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

If you follow the link in the op, you'll find more information, but basically Centenary Riverside is a new nature reserve created on an ex industrial site along the Don in Rotherham. It has two purposes: to act as a nature park for the benefit of wildlife and local people, and as flood alleviation by acting as a catchment for large quanities of water in times of heavy rain.

The sculptures on site were created from materials found while excavating the area to create the park/flood alleviation. It seemed fitting to use them to provide artwork for the site, adding interest for visitors and reflecting the site's - and indeed the area's - history.

The red deer incident on Blacka Moor is indeed a nasty thing. Members of the reserves team found part of the deer in the car park (not sure if it was Stony Ridge or Strawberry Lea) on Monday morning.

The police and Wildlife Officers have been informed. They reckon it was poachers, and that they leave part of the deer in a prominent place as a sort of two-fingered salute. Nice kind of person, eh? I was going to start a new thread, because it's pretty deserving of its own outrage. Plus we could do with people keeping an eye out.

I saw the link, but I'm still of the opinion that nature reserves should be as natural as possible and art has no place in them. I don't even like the dreaded 'interpretive signs'.

The red deer killing is a far more serious incident. I didn't even know red deer were living at Blacka Moor. I was told there are also Muntjac, is that true?

I saw the link, but I'm still of the opinion that nature reserves should be as natural as possible and art has no place in them. I don't even like the dreaded 'interpretive signs'.

The red deer killing is a far more serious incident. I didn't even know red deer were living at Blacka Moor. I was told there are also Muntjac, is that true?

I've given the red deer their own thread. The more people know, the better they're able to report suspicious goings-on.

We could debate the art in natural places argument all day, I suppose, and it would be easy to argue that if they're going to be constantly stolen, it's a waste of time installing them there, but a great many other people get pleasure from them.

I also think there's a lot to be said for reminding people of the history of the spaces around them. Steel Henge is a rather more interesting way of doing that than an interpretive sign.

However, there are other places where I would agree with you that it isn't always appropriate. Though i always enjoy a cheeky bit of unexpected art...