How to choose a suitable car?

ok, my car which I inherited about three years ago is just about on its last legs (1998 renault scenic) and it is time for a new car but I have no idea where to start!

needs to sear four adults occasionally, good sized boot pref hatchback. it will have to live outside on the road and I have a circulation problem in my hands so I’m thinking a heated windscreen would be a major plus! And heated seats would be pure luxury!

budget is up to around 7k

any ideas where to start?

Ford Focus, for 7k you'll get a cracker, between 5 and 3 years old with quickclear heated windscreen. Not too sure about heated seats, im sure they do them but dont think its a popular option. If you want a brand new car your options are more limited.

I'd start by looking at how much it'll cost to run first, check out sites such as http://www.parkers.co.uk/choose/

Maybe see what you can afford in terms of MPGs, insurance, tax etc then see which of those fit your spec.

Edit - agree with wozman a Focus may be a good option. I've got a Focus and the quickclear windscreen is good :)

good thought on cost to run. the current scenic is 2.0 petrol so expensive on tax and fairly heavy on the go juice

just had a look round the car park at work - think a Focus looks about the right sort of size. i've had a fiesta in the past which just felt that bit too small

A 3 year old Skoda Fabia can be had for £7k. I bought mine with all the criteria you've mentioned except for the heated windscreen. However, I just blast my windscreen with the air con and it clears pretty quickly.

Ford Fusions can be very cheap second hand as they weren't very popular new. They are based on the previous Fiesta but feel much bigger and have a bigger boot. Slightly raised driving position too.

you could get a focus diesel, they did three variants, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 i think, all very economical, and all cheap on the old tax. Fords heated screen is ace, clears ice in a matter of a minute or two, and im sure if you look hard enough you can pick one up with luxury heated seats for way less than 7k, and with reasonably low miles. Theres loads about too, so a good deal can be found, i'll have a look in autotrader for you!

ok, i've never heard of the Fusion?

am i right in thinking the Skoda has a connection with volkswagen?

Wozman - i've just been looking at the focus on autotrader and there seems to be so many about and so many different varieties. Which is the top model? in the old days it used to go up L, LX, GLX, GS or whatever but they now seem to be names - studio, titanium, ghia

ok, i've never heard of the Fusion?

am i right in thinking the Skoda has a connection with volkswagen?

Wozman - i've just been looking at the focus on autotrader and there seems to be so many about and so many different varieties. Which is the top model? in the old days it used to go up L, LX, GLX, GS or whatever but they now seem to be names - studio, titanium, ghia

Yes they're owned by VW, my Skoda has a VW engine in it.

Ghia is top one mate i think, but the titanium spec is high as it was a special run i think. studio is the basic one. really does depend what you want tho, ive driven a focus and they are good cars, for 7k you could get pretty much anything you want tho. I currently drive an audi, and recommend them too, anything from the vag group will be good, vw, skoda audi.

I am selling my 2006, red, 5 door Civic. It's Diesel, 6 speed, does 55mpg, very practical and spacious, (the back seats actually fold up as well as down giving loads of space. Full service history, 96k on the clock, 12 months MOT, Taxed till November. It's the top of the range model. 2.2 Cdti I think, 17 inch alloys, run flat tyres, Zeon lights, Honda DVD based Satnav, voice activation, Bluetooth, Dual climate control etc.

Only selling as downsizing.

£5800 which is a steal!

Even if you don't buy mine then I would still recomend giving one a go, they are excellent cars.

Pictures, there are a few, shall post the first one, you can scrll through the rest.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/trumpmuffin/IMG_2301.jpg

:)