Connaught in administration - decent homes work

It was on the news this morning that they have been bought, saving around 2500 jobs.

It was on the news this morning that they have been bought, saving around 2500 jobs.

Oh dear.....the shoddy workmanship will continue then :o

im new to sheffield forum and cant pm you about your van that im intrested in could you give me a ring or txt and i will ring you back my number is 07789228540 its craig

If your wages were halved, i would expect you to do a good job. Then at you have more of a chance of getting repeat work.

I think anybody,no matter what job they did, who had their wages halved would either find another job or not do the job properly. The only people that would normally work for less pay are those that are not very good at the job in the first place.

On the other hand they could always work for nothing and never be out of work:hihi:

If I remember correctly it took Sheffield Council a long time to take action against Connaught even though they knew by all the complaints what was happening,at every tennants meeting Sheffield Council brushed all the complaints under the carpet.

The things that Pensioners had to put up with on this estate was a disgrace.

The work will always be poor....fact.

As was mentioned earlier, it is the same tradesmen that do the work whoever is contracted. When Kier 'arrived' in Sheffield they did not bring hundreds of tradesmen with them.......it was merely re-branding....same men....same quality ...different name. The same with Connaught and other such 'big' names that invariably 'win' these contracts. If the contracts are awarded on price (and not back-handers.....did I say that out loud?) then tradesmens prices are squeezed.....result, poor pay = poor quality. By introducing a contracting company you are just allowing an additional management structure to take another slice of the pie.......so you are less likely to get well paid tradesmen and good quality work.

If 'they' paid the 'going rate' then you would get decent tradesmen (like myself:D)...but they never will....so I will never prostitute myself and work for peanuts.........especially knowing there are 'management' creaming off thousands more than my pay.

Will get off my soap box now.....just my opinion:)

Steve

an example of a price . 70 pound to fit a bathroom . :)))))

Think that JUST undercuts my standard 'straight swap' price :hihi:

an example of a price . 70 pound to fit a bathroom . :)))))

yep your correct mate , plastering used to be £300 a kitchen and now there £150 and thats overboard ceiling ,skim and bond chases and skim kitchen and a bathroom is £250 :loopy:.

My brother is a subby joiner , a kitchen "full fit " , and bathroom "boxings , bath panel ect " used to be £400 its now £200 . :loopy:

yep your correct mate , plastering used to be £300 a kitchen and now there £150 and thats overboard ceiling ,skim and bond chases and skim kitchen and a bathroom is £250 :loopy:.

My brother is a subby joiner , a kitchen "full fit " , and bathroom "boxings , bath panel ect " used to be £400 its now £200 . :loopy:

Yep your right ive seen it all as well, i used to do the plastering on the kitchens and bathrooms and they want both done in a day which to be honest is ridiculous. The problem with these company's is they are run by idiots who have never picked a tool up in there lives so don't understand and think they are right.

Yep your right ive seen it all as well, i used to do the plastering on the kitchens and bathrooms and they want both done in a day which to be honest is ridiculous. The problem with these company's is they are run by idiots who have never picked a tool up in there lives so don't understand and think they are right.

100% spot on mate , i used to do them when we had 2 days for both , but since prices change i refuse to work for them , id rather take my time and do the job correct , i have seen some r8 rubbish and defo wont put my name to them standards and like you said them who are running the contracts dont have a clue and the health and safty rules have gone nuts aswell makin it vertually impossible to work , so good luck to the nxt contractors. :hihi: