Rabbit's ears slashed as owners on holidayPremium

A SHOCKED family returned to Doncaster from a trip to Scotland to find their pet rabbit had been mutilated by cruel thugs while they were away.

Natalie Hall and her family went to check on pet rabbit Colin on arriving home to Moat Croft, Scawthorpe.

They were horrified to find his ears had been cut away and only stumps remained.

RSPCA inspectors have now launched an investigation into the incident which occurred while they were out of Doncaster at a wedding.

Colin was still in his hutch when they realised what had happened to him.

A friend saw Colin's injuries when she went round to the house to check on him before the family returned.

And when she first saw him, 25-year-old Natalie thought the rabbit's ears had been simply cut off.

Now she said she believes it is more likely that they were burned away by the cruel attackers.

She said: "I was absolutely devastated when I saw him.

"I burst into tears straight away.

"I didn't know how to tell my children."

Housewife Natalie, and her 23-year-old partner Daniel Midgley, are now looking after the one year old pet.

They are also comforting their children, Ella-May Midgley, eight, PJ Alexander White, four, and 18 month old Kian Midgley.

Ms Hall added: "The vet said they cannot be certain what happened. He is not sure if they have been burned off.

"I can't understand why someone would want to do this. The vet said he was shocked he was alive."

Colin is now expected to make a full recovery and his hearing is not expected to be affected by the mutilation.

An RSPCA spokesman said the charity had received a report of the incident, and that the matter had now been passed to one of its inspectors for further investigation.

Anyone with information call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999

How awful. There are some cruel low-life idiots out there. Absolutely pointless, the poor little thing.:sad:

Poor, poor little bunny. Makes my blood absolutely boil when I hear cruelty stories like this.

hope they find the little t***s:rant: and them do the same to them and see how it feels

That is disgusting, poor rabbit. I just don't understand why anyone would be so cruel :(

This is why outdoor bunnies should be kept in a locked cage , as it makes it harder for people to break in . How aweful poor bunny.