Amusing dialect stories.

Dem down der don't know the diff between soop & soop ya know one ya drink & tuther ya wash thy sen wid

Quote from a (nameless) Sheffield-based footballer, plying his trade at that time with a senior North Nottinghamshire amateur club:

"Daent gi it im, ee waint gi it thee..."

I suspect that he was doubting the ability of one of his erstwhile team-mates to return passes when necessary...

Dem down der don't know the diff between soop & soop ya know one ya drink & tuther ya wash thy sen wid
Supwidee? Dere's a big difference - tha drinks soop an' tha weshes thisen wi sooap..;)

Supwidee? Dere's a big difference - tha drinks soop an' tha weshes thisen wi sooap..;)

Quite true my mother sent me to the Co-op in Leicester for washing soap the clerk trying to decipher my accent ,we have tomato, and list all the rest NO NO silly bugger soap u wash thy sen wid i had quite a first year:):)

That reminds me about the American who went into a chemist and asked for a "Sanitary roll" for the toilet.

"Nay mi owd luv" he was told, "or ere wi call em toilet rolls".

"oh thank you" he said,

"Duz tha want owt else" He was asked.

"Yes" he said "I'd like some soap please"

"Toilet soap" ? he was asked.

"No" he said," it's for my face "

Edited by grinder

Many years ago i had a book called Sheffieldish - A beginners guide. Does anyone know if you can still get this and if so where? Or should the be wear?

It depends on whereabouts you were brought up. Dialects differ quite a lot just in Sheffield. I could always tell if somebody came from Attercliff and say Darnall, Meersbrook or Pitsmoor. The difference was often the sound of T and the soft sound or none at all.

Many years ago i had a book called Sheffieldish - A beginners guide. Does anyone know if you can still get this and if so where? Or should the be wear?
It's quite a collector's item nowadays (and I'm not parting with mine.;)) but there's a copy for sale on Amazon.:)

It's quite a collector's item nowadays (and I'm not parting with mine.;)) but there's a copy for sale on Amazon.:)

My cousin gave me one similar to that about 30 years ago called Sheffield Lingo..something like that, now I'll have to go searching for it :) I know it's still in excellent condition because how many times do you read somthing like that :)

A dialect project called Sheffield Voices Across Time is currently being carried out by researchers at the University of Sheffield in conjunction with the Local Studies Library and Sheffield Archives.

Dr Jane Hodson of the School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics is leading the project which explores how local dialect has been represented in newspapers, novels, poetry, reports and letters and how it has changed over time.

Their work will eventually be published as a guide detailing the range of sources available at Local Studies and Archives that can be used for tracking dialect changes from the early 1800s to the present day. Should make for interesting reading!

Cheryl, Sheffield Archives

I just hope they put some humour in it otherwise I've got a feeling it could be a slow read...