Sell baked goods from home?

With due respect fellas as self acknowledged business advisers I believe that you are actually giving rather bad advice,or at least low quality / inadequate advice and the insinuation that the OP will evade tax is uncalled for. K_bliss you have a great idea and it sounds like a lot of fun.

So, let's take it from the top.

Insurances. So far as I can tell there are no insurances required for this business.

Certificates. So far as I can tell there are no certificates required for this business.

Tax / NI. In these circumstances the 10/11 tax year for the self employed has only just begun and any tax due will be indicated (and payable) on a tax return submitted by the Jan 31 2012. K_bliss you have to make a profit before worrying about this, and as a student I suspect that you will be under the tax paying threshold anyway. Know your circumstances and keep an eye on the millions rolling in during the first year in case you push over.

Only the OP can deal with potential deal killers like her landlord.

Now, as I said way back it is not wise to play fast and loose with health and safety. A clean domestic kitchen, oven and equipment should do just fine. There is no need for an inspection and I believe that the most you will be required to do is to send in a self assessment form. However, since you are not a food outlet you may not even need to do that - check.

In the OP's circumstances and so long as there are no issues (poisoning the local nursing home will get their interest) the local Environmental Health have next to no real world powers (or interest) but that does not mean that they won't be helpful and pragmatic - far more than suggested above. The local team can be contacted at the Town Hall by telephone 273 4567.

Good luck.

Edited by Tony
tyop

With all due respect, the OP was advised of the correct way and they said they dont want to run it as a business, they just want to make their product and sell it on....which as you know IS tantamount to running a business...and earning an income. That's not my interpretation it is that of those that would be concerned, e.g. council, HMRC, etc.

You are giving out incorrect and wrong advice. That's all I can say and I am qualified to do so.

I never made any insult - I said there were 2 ways to do it and asked which one were they choosing. It's a hard fact but it's correct none the less and to have folk coming onto a business forum advising people they can trade illegally is nothing short of a disgrace.

The H&S inspectorate can shut down a premise on the spot if they so wish so to say that an authority has no real pwoers is nothihng short of a ridiculous statement and it's these new-to-business folk who are at the moment naive about what's involved and seek advice, that end up in the poo because of following poor or inaccurate advice.

Anyway, enough said on the matter from me, the OP has been advised, and can get clarification from the appropriate organisation if they need to. They can of course choose to ignore this and do it off their own back without informing anyone.

As much of what I write is for the people reading this thread, and not just the OP. Many people seek this sort of info and find it on forums, and it's scary to think they could want to follow anything but the right course of action.

And finally - this is a business forum. If it's not a business question then it's not for this forum in which case, perhaps I should have deleted it. However, I think the thread serves a purpose to debate the question 'should I do it properly or should I skip things I can get away with' and let people make up their own mind.

Edited by indizine

Well this turned into a lively debate!

There are loads of food type businessess that start from home.

Cakes especially have a very good margin and if they are good, they sell well.

I bought a chocolate muffin last week for £2. Very Delicious aswell!

Food hygene is paramount and a food hygene certificate is the first thing to obtain, in my opinion.

As regards to the fire risk, and i do this on a daily basis, as long as the equipment in use is suitable, not damaged etc and that you have daily open/closing procedures that are followed, then the risk of fire is very low. Electric ovens are better, as opposed to Gas.

Document what you do and get going!

And let me know when the cakes are ready!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I want to thank you all,I was searching for information about this subject, and this discussion kind of put me on the right track.But also confused...

I want to start my business with confectionery (cakes,cupcakes,cookies...) but I don't have any savings to start up the actual business and I want to try our how would it go, so I have decided to try and become as self employed first and do all this at home.

This discussion helped but also confused,I want to do everything in legal,right way.

So what I've understood is:

- I do not need to have any special certificates and insurances?

- First, I discuss everything with my landlord?

- Then I go to council and....do what? Tell them my idea?

Then what? Scrub my kitchen until it sparkles and wait for ''them''? Or is there no such thing like inspections? ( <-- this really confused)

- I fill in self employed application form? (As I understand last thing I do?)

Would be grateful if someone could give me some answers!

From your list of questions I would say - Do number three - talk to the council and they will give you the best advice as to how to proceed - and yes they will want to inspect your kitchen as a matter of course before you start selling...

Hi guys,

I want to thank you all,I was searching for information about this subject, and this discussion kind of put me on the right track.But also confused...

I want to start my business with confectionery (cakes,cupcakes,cookies...) but I don't have any savings to start up the actual business and I want to try our how would it go, so I have decided to try and become as self employed first and do all this at home.

This discussion helped but also confused,I want to do everything in legal,right way.

So what I've understood is:

- I do not need to have any special certificates and insurances?

- First, I discuss everything with my landlord?

- Then I go to council and....do what? Tell them my idea?

Then what? Scrub my kitchen until it sparkles and wait for ''them''? Or is there no such thing like inspections? ( <-- this really confused)

- I fill in self employed application form? (As I understand last thing I do?)

Would be grateful if someone could give me some answers!

hi do you make wedding cakes?

You will need to be visited by Health and Safety to ensure your kitchen meets standards. This is only because you are selling from it. And I believe you still need inspection even if you don't plan on actually selling from your home.