Looking for an informal choir..

Hi - I'm looking for an informal choir or singing group to join, preferably somewhere in S11/S7, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!!

Hello, here's some possibilities for you, firstly in S7-

OPOR SINGERS

A Sharrow based community singing group. Has a supportive and friendly environment. Sings songs from a wide range of genres and cultures. No requirement to read music as everything is taught by ear. Performs regularly at local events. All welcome.

Email: [email protected]

Sharrow Community Forum

Old Junior School

South View Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S7 1BD

Telephone 1: 0114 250 8384

and in S11-

BODY OF SOUND

Informal and relaxed a cappella choir for women aged 16 years and over. Different styles of music. No previous musical experience required and no requirement to read music. Choir gives occasional public performances, participation in these is optional. Takes part in International Women's Day and various fundraising events.

Contact Name: Lisa Heller, Secretary

Telephone 1: 0114 230 3049

Church Hall

Endcliffe Church

Ecclesall Road (Neill Road Entrance)

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S11 8QH

Days and Times: Wed 7.30-9.45pm (term-time only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVERYONE SING

Harmony singing workshops, open to all, whether an experienced singer or have never sung before. Being able to read music is not necessary as everything is taught by ear and learned as a group. Performs songs from all over the world in many different styles. Weekly session fee.

Local Website http://www.jacapella.co.uk

Contact Name: Jacqui Ford

Mobile: 07796 131611

St Andrews Church

Psalter Lane

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S11 8YL

Days and Times: Wed 7.30-9.30pm (term-time only)

Ranmoor Parish Centre

5 Ranmoor Park Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S10 3GX

Days and Times: Mon 1-3pm (term-time only)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TINTAGEL VOICES

Sings music from different world traditions. Uses singing exercises to free and uncover the voice. Familiarity with music notation is helpful, but not necessary. Emphasis is on the spiritual quality of tone.

Tintagel House

2 Meadow Bank Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S11 9AH

Contact Name: Andrew Thompson

Mobile: 07879 579036

Days and Times: Thurs 7.30-9pm (term-time only)

WOMENS SINGING GROUP

No musical experience necessary. The group sings a range of songs from around the world.

Contact Name: Andrea Small

Telephone 1: 0114 201 9011

Mobile: 07947 040548

Endcliffe Methodist Church Lower Hall

Ecclesall Road

Sheffield

South Yorkshire

S11 8QH

Days and Times: Mon 7.30-9.30pm (corresponding roughly with school terms)

These are the choirs in the areas you specified that seemed fairly informal, but you may want to see our whole range of Sheffield Choirs here-

http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk/keyword_search.asp?keyword=CHOIRS&submit3=Search

Hope this helps!

Dan

Thank you that's brilliant, I will definitely go along to one of them!

Hi are there any similar in the S5/S9 area as I would love to join one too?

Hey myself and a female friend are also looking for a singing group / choir.

Not too bothered about the area as have a car but don't want to have to travel miles.

We're looking for a group that takes on new and old songs, has a 'younger' membership (we're in our twenties) and isn't overly expensive to join.

We're both into a wide variety of music so would like to embrace that with the group but also keep it a bit more current than your traditional choir.

If that makes sense?!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I live in Parson Cross and would be interested in any singing groups I could get to easily by bus. I've been doing internet searches, but my lack of knowledge of Sheffield limits me. The bus I use most often is the Stagecoach 83, so if it goes to anywhere that would be suitable, I'd love to know about it!

I'm also interested in amature dramatics.

As there's a few different requests here I'd recommend the advanced search function on our website- http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk/advanced.asp

Choose the second search option 'Search with 1 Keyword and a Postal District' and then select keyword CHOIRS or DRAMATIC SOCIETIES to see whats near you.

Searching with just Keywords will bring up the city-wide results.

hope this helps,

Dan

Hi - I'm looking for an informal choir or singing group to join, preferably somewhere in S11/S7, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks!!

Sheffield Harmony Ladies Barbershop chorus! We sing 4 part harmony at all sorts of social occasions, weddings, etc, and no musical or singing experience or knowledge is needed to join. We have great fun, and get together with other choruses around the country once a year, at our national Convention. Mondays 7.30pm to 10.00pm-ish, Bents Green Methodist church, junction of Ringinglow Rd/Knowle Lane S11. hope to see you there

Hi I help to run an informal choir in S5 - we are looking for new members! We meet every Thursday during the school term, at 7.30pm-9pm

we sing a variety of music, we'll be starting Christmas music this term.

we meet at Shiregreen United Reformed Church, Valentine Crescent, S5 9GQ

All abilities welcome!

Hi RevClaire.

I'm gonna hopefully be coming along tomorrow as I miss singing in a choir.

Is there any costs involved.

Thanks

Leigh

I belong to Body of Sound.. its a wonderful choir.. so wonderful that we have a waiting list!! If you want to join a very special choir, email lisa.. we are well worth the wait.. I was on the list for a year before I joined.