Lieutenant George Lambert V.C.

This gallant Irishman is not forgotten by Sheffielders. Arrangements are in hand for the shamrock to be paced on his grave, Anyone interested- I know there are- watch this space. His VC is in the York and Lancs Museum in Rotherham.

I sent the STARS article about him to his home village of Market Hill

I dont like to put a spanner in the works but the Lt is from Northern Ireland so he would not have liked a Shamrock on his grave thats the symbol of the Free State, the symbol for the North is a Union Jack

I totally agree with you, Ive just come off the phone to the Ulster Gazette and they seem interseted in the story. If you dont know his religion (if he was in the British Army he was almost certainly Protestant) you could put the Red Hand of Ulster on or near his grave which covers all of Northern Ireland, it comes from Irish folklore when two men were challenged by their Father (I think) that the first to get on the shore of Ulster would rule it, it was a very close race so one of the men cut off his own hand and threw it on the shore thus winning the right to rule Ulster.

This is taken from the Sheffield History site:

A separate grave belongs to Lieutenant George Lambert V.C., an Irishman, born in Markethill, County Armagh, in December 1819. A sergeant in the 84th Regiment (York & Lancaster Regiment), he was promoted twice without purchase, and was awarded his Victoria Cross for conspicuous bravery during the Indian Mutiny at Oonao in 1857. His death was due to the breaking of a blood vessel on the parade ground of Hillsborough Barracks on February 10th 1860.

There's an interesting article here:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/georgelambert1858.htm

Edited by DUFFEMS