A message for piggy/rabbit owners

Please remember in this hot weather that rabbits and guineas can quickly succumb to heat stroke when out in runs on the grass. Make sure the run is covered with something (old blanket/ towels/ sheet) and check regularly to see the run is still in the shade and move accordingly. If in doubt, do not put them in the run,... but keep the hutch/ cage well shaded or the shed well ventilated and use a fan where possible.

Frozen water bottles in a sock are also a good way to keep them cool, if your pig or bunny appears to be suffering heat stroke, get a cold wet towel and wrap the animal in it, and contact your vet immediately

My friend nearly lost her pig yesterday, and she'd only been out half an hour

I must admit I didn't put mine out yesterday as it was scorching and I couldn't be there to monitor them.

Poor little piggy, I hope it's ok now.

She seems fine this morning thankfully, close escape

This is a real worry isn't it for animals in hutches, I have put up a Gazebo over my 2 hutches to provide shade, it seems to be working very well.

I put Minstrel out later at night to free range on the garden while I sit and chill on the patio. In the day he is indoors where it is nice and cool. This way, I know that he is always going to be safe from the heat and sun. :D

Have move my runs under the bushes so there's loads of shade. The pigs seems happy in there and the bunnies have underground tunnels to keep them cool!

I'll get my rabbit to read this.

I shoved them in their cage at the weekend and put it in the garden whilst giving their room a really good clean. One stayed in the shade, the other followed the sun beam around, lying on his back with a paw in the air soaking up as much sun as possible.