Bounce for Sheffield?

Has anyone else heard about this?

Just spotted a notice for this event while I was visiting the Hallamshire Hospital. Can't say it's been very well advertised... or maybe I've been walking around with my eyes shut!

It seems that a group of local charities are hoping to set a new world record for the number of people on space-hoppers at the same time. (Yes, space-hoppers. I remember falling off one of those when I was a kid!)

Being an inquisitive sort of person (or just plain nosey) I googled it when I got back to work and found a few links.

http://www.yorkshirecancerresearch.org.uk/events/bounce_for_sheffield.aspx

and

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104561702921698&ref=mf

and even one involving Def Leppard!

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56684/Def-Leppard-Support-Space-Hopper-World-Record-Attempt---PHOTO

So has anyone signed up for this? Can't decide if I want to risk life and limb to set a new world record.

Does anyone know if Sheffield holds any other world records? Apart from the ice cream...

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=593063&highlight=ice+cream+record

In a moment of madness I signed myself up for this! I haven't been on a space hopper for goodness knows how many years!

I agree that it doesn't seem to have been advertised very well. Unfortunately I read on Twitter last night that they are still quite a bit short of participants in order to break the world record.

So here's my plug:

It's actually NEXT sunday, 25th July at Don Valley.

So come on Sheffielders, we've got a world record to break! :hihi:

Let's put Sheffield on the map after our disappointment of not winning the UK City of Culture recently. So get signed up! Let's raise some money for the very worthy charities of Weston Park Hospital Cancer Charity, the Cavendish Centre and Yorkshire Cancer Research and of course beat the world record.

You know you want to! :hihi:

Anyone else signed up for Bounce For Sheffield? Only 6 days to go!

Let's get bouncing! :thumbsup:

Yep! I'm signed up with a bunch of friends! Hope lots more people join in - shame it's on the same weekend as Tramlines though!

I'm not convinced we're going to have enough people to break the world record which is a real shame. I hope I'm wrong!

Here's hoping for nice weather. I don't fancy trying to bounce on a wet space hopper! I'm already wondering how good my balance is going to be, never mind the hazard of a slippy space hopper!

Saw this on their Facebook page this morning:

"Yorkshire Cancer Research. As mentioned on BBC Radio 2 this morning we are still taking entries for Bounce for Sheffield due to popular demand, the event takes place THIS Sunday at the Don Valley Bowl in Sheffield at 11am where will attempt to break two world records for people bouncing on space hoppers...for your £10 entry fee you will receive a T-shirt & a free space hopper which you can keep after the event :) call us now on 01423 877210."

There was also a link to an item on Calendar news:

http://www.itv.com/yorkshire/hopping-mad47234/

Hope it all goes well!

I'm getting ready to take part in this event, is anyone else??

Yep, Im doing it! Finished chemo at Weston Park two weeks ago so this charity is very close to my heart!

Bounce, bounce, bounce!

Xx

Really enjoyed the spacehopper bounce today. Bouncing a spacehopper for a quarter of a mile is more tiring than I expected. My thighs ache!

We watched the ITV Calendar news report this evening to find out if we had managed to break either of the world records but the report was very short and seemed to be inaccurate. They said that there were 'thousands' of people there and that the world record that was broken was the one for the number of people simultaneously bouncing on spacehoppers for one minute, but I'm certain it wasn't that one as I didn't see anyone with a number higher than 900. (Each bouncer had a number pinned to their t-shirt). The record set in Mexico City was 1,257.

Does anyone know if we did break the record for the 1/4 mile dash?

Edited by ptigga

My sister went and said she heard they beat the record by 500?

I took part in this event, i think we broke the world record for the 1/4 mile bounce but not the 2 minute stand still bounce, not sure though. Certificates will come in the post, so watch this space!

Here's another update from the YCR Facebook Page.

"Congratulations to all those who took part in Bounce for Sheffield on Sunday - together we broke the world record for the largest space hopper race in the world ever!!

We have lots of fantastic photo's which we will be uploading to our facebook fan page later on today - If you spot yourself please feel free to tag away!"

http://www.facebook.com/yorkshirecancerresearch

Well done everybody!