Martial arts or is it Gymnastics

This isn't intended as an insult to hard work and dedication etc but............is what we see as 'extreme forms' martial arts or gymnastics with a kick and punch thrown in? I have attended many competitions and very few MA-ists can and will compete in forms and sparring. What's your take?

Someone I know recently put on facebook '1st kickboxing lesson today' so I asked them what they were doing.....and yes it was an exercise class with kicks and punches.

personally I used to like training in Ju-Jitsu and Kickboxing but I liked the workout, learning moves and some ground grappling...but I hated getting punched straight in the face...so friendly sparring was all I could put up with.

Someone I know recently put on facebook '1st kickboxing lesson today' so I asked them what they were doing.....and yes it was an exercise class with kicks and punches.

personally I used to like training in Ju-Jitsu and Kickboxing but I liked the workout, learning moves and some ground grappling...but I hated getting punched straight in the face...so friendly sparring was all I could put up with.

Personally theres nothing wrong with friendly sparring. At least they are sparring even though it is very light contact.

At my gym I only let the fighters do Full contact sparring. If you are not training for full contact contests then you have no need to be getting punched in the face, shinned on the legs , kneed in the ribs full power.

Friendly sparring is always fun. It enables everyone to have a go on an open playing field.

This isn't intended as an insult to hard work and dedication etc but............is what we see as 'extreme forms' martial arts or gymnastics with a kick and punch thrown in? I have attended many competitions and very few MA-ists can and will compete in forms and sparring. What's your take?

To me the only form of martial arts that can call itself "extreme" is MMA.

The rest is either kickboxing or Karate or Ju jitsu or whatever else you call it.

Then again you are saying very few Martial artists compete in forms or "sparring" (compete in sparring??? sparring is sparring ,.. what do you mean compete in sparring???)

But very few martial artists compete in Full Contact or Kickboxing.

I am yet to see if your guys have competed in full contact or kickboxing? If they have then I stand corrected.

Personally theres nothing wrong with friendly sparring. At least they are sparring even though it is very light contact.

At my gym I only let the fighters do Full contact sparring. If you are not training for full contact contests then you have no need to be getting punched in the face, shinned on the legs , kneed in the ribs full power.

Friendly sparring is always fun. It enables everyone to have a go on an open playing field.

Very sensible. That won't put those who just want an MA hobby off.

To me the only form of martial arts that can call itself "extreme" is MMA.

The rest is either kickboxing or Karate or Ju jitsu or whatever else you call it.

Then again you are saying very few Martial artists compete in forms or "sparring" (compete in sparring??? sparring is sparring ,.. what do you mean compete in sparring???)

But very few martial artists compete in Full Contact or Kickboxing.

I am yet to see if your guys have competed in full contact or kickboxing? If they have then I stand corrected.

well you stand corrected :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just because you haven't seen some one fight full contact doesn't mean they don't . (after all your not the font of knowledge for martial arts are you):hihi:

Doesn't compete mean take part in competitions ??

I know several of Master js students that have won medals and trophies across europe (not just in Sheffield) and one or two have competed in Kickboxing shows in Sheffield fighting Full contact

It looks good and i would love to be able to do some of the moves ive done some training with a club in Hackenthorpe and there were some fantastic martial arts athletes.

When you say "extreme" do you mean like the XMA stuff where like you said its very gymnastics based, a good example would be the new karate kid movie where the main character trained in XMA for his role, @ the XMA "world headquarters" which looks more like a gymnastics gym than a martial arts gym.

i havent been to many comps like this except the seni shows where they have lots of different forms and trad comps going on

When you attend these comps, are there an equal split in 'categories' i.e. traditional forms, XMA forms, points sparring, semi?

Are the XMA comps taking over?

When you say not many martial artists compete do you mean they dont compete in the XMA stuff or in general?

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_martial_arts

http://www.xmahq.com/newsite2/index.php

Farhad i do agree that MMA is extreme, but i dont think it should be labelled as such, as watching thai fights and even say college wrestling is very extreme.

MMA (mixed martial arts) as in cage fighting, not a martial arts acacedmy that teaches say thai and judo calling themselves an MMA gym, as it should be used to name a Mixed martial arts gym where they are training in all areas with aims to compete.

a good example and using my previous history in reference.

THIS IS MMA

Quannum MMA, a full time facility in huddersfield with full gym, cage, ring, 2 matted and padded areas and a whole host of other equipment, teaching wrestling, bjj, boxing, thai and mixed classes, with people of all ages and abilities training, with the best looking to fight locally and internationally from amateur to pro.

THIS IS NOT MMA

Castle MA in sheffield, now call themselves and classes mixed martial arts, they teach a mixture of traditional jujitsu, kickboxing?, boxing?, XMA, to all ages.

We're all big enough to call things as we see them, but some unsuspecting newbies get caught up in the bull**** politics and wagon jumping.

No offense intended to any other schools, this is just how i see things. I have nothing against any martial art except and have trained in various styles at many different locations.

My 2 cents

Edited by RossP

Its the same stuff as that team 'strike' did on britans got talent it looks very acrobatic

I know some clubs in Sheffield that teach this sort of stuff as well as fighting.

well you stand corrected :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just because you haven't seen some one fight full contact doesn't mean they don't . (after all your not the font of knowledge for martial arts are you):hihi:

Doesn't compete mean take part in competitions ??

I know several of Master js students that have won medals and trophies across europe (not just in Sheffield) and one or two have competed in Kickboxing shows in Sheffield fighting Full contact

Your actual knowledge and understanding of kickboxing could be written on the back of a postcard.

The trophies won "across Europe" were won by first timers and certainly were not won against serious competitors.

RE: Master J's students fighting "Full contact" , which clubs were they fighting against? Reputable fighting gyms? Or just the bog standard clubs that you cant really expect to take seriously? Some clarification would be nice.

Personally, if there's not an opponent or a target, its gymnastics.

My competitors were fighting against world class fighters from all over the world at the WKA world championships held in Spain last year. 900 competitors, 52 countries. They had gone through 8 competitions to get the honour of representing this glorious country. (not at football though lol)

and yes we have fighters that have full contact experience, so get off you high horse or shall I give you a call and speak personally to you. I have told you not to insult me and my academy.:mad: