I'm off sick from work and need advice!!

4 months off work with a dislocated shoulder in itself seems hugely excessive. Are you on full pay?

Dislocated shoulders, whilst hugely unpleasant at the time, are not that much of a hindrance that you can't carry out none physical work.

May I ask, how are you currently spending your days? Shopping? Cleaning the house? Sitting down watching tv? How would sat at a desk with a phone headset course any more grievance to your shoulder than any of these activities?

From what you have said your work have been more than fair, and I'm surprised they've not dragged you into the office sooner to ask you in person why you feel you are still unable to work.

I do speak from personal experiance, I'm not just having a go. 3 years ago I dislocated my shoulder, and at the same time broke and dislocated my clavicle. I was signed off work for a month, but after 2 weeks I felt fit enough to be able to perform my job, which basically involves sitting at a desk much like yours.

My bold

That's funny, when I worked I'm sure I couldn't just say I felt unable to work - I had to get something called a certificate, from a doctor, saying that I was unfit for work!

7 months seems an extremely long time to have off work for a dislocated shoulder, especially when there is no physical requirements.

My shoulder is that damamged that it drops out of socket everytime i move it and i'm in constant pain with it. My doctors will not sign me fit to work i have asked!!!

I'd have thought the doctor and surgeon that the OP has been seeing would be in the best position to judge whether she's fit for work or not.

~Thanks for sticking up for me Dozy, all i wanted was a bit of advice not for people to sound like my employer!!!

My bold

That's funny, when I worked I'm sure I couldn't just say I felt unable to work - I had to get something called a certificate, from a doctor, saying that I was unfit for work!

As I'm sure the OP has. But in order to get this they must go to the doctor and say they feel unable to work. Depending on the infliction it tends to work on a weekly or fortnightly period. Once that period has expired they have to return to the doctor to say they are still unable to work, or request to be signed back on.

So back to the OP, why do you feel unable to work still, after 4 months?

My shoulder is that damamged that it drops out of socket everytime i move it and i'm in constant pain with it. My doctors will not sign me fit to work i have asked!!!

In that case I apologise, sounds quite serious.

With my employer, no matter what the illness/injury, I receive 6 months full pay (providing a doctors note is provided), after that it goes down to half pay. The retraining thing doesn't really apply to me though so can't really advise there.

I would definately speak to your union though if you are a member. Good luck.

I think that the important thing is that a statement like 'I dislocated my shoulder' does not imply that it was a simple dislocation.

If it was a simple dislocation you'd have already been back at work for a few weeks, but going back to work with tendon or ligament damage when you're going to have to stop again for surgery to repair the shoulder may not be that productive even if your GP would agree to a return to work now.

I'd follow all the advice above and make sure that you take advice. I know that expense will be an issue at the moment, but I'd also consider taking legal advice.

As I'm sure the OP has. But in order to get this they must go to the doctor and say they feel unable to work. Depending on the infliction it tends to work on a weekly or fortnightly period. Once that period has expired they have to return to the doctor to say they are still unable to work, or request to be signed back on.

So back to the OP, why do you feel unable to work still, after 4 months?

My

Excuse me, but who exactly put you in charge of interrogating the OP as to why she can't work???

Presumably, you posted this before you read her explanation, but it really is nothing to do with you, in any case.

And, for your information, the OP would need a certificate from the doctor saying she IS fit to go back to work, otherwise her employer's insurance wouldn't cover her.

A referral to occupational health will provide more information than a certificate, this is the probable route that your employer will take and it needs to be put in writing as they will need to speak to your GP.

Sounds like you have streached the tendons and if so, will require corrective surgery, good luck.

My

Excuse me, but who exactly put you in charge of interrogating the OP as to why she can't work???

Presumably, you posted this before you read her explanation, but it really is nothing to do with you, in any case.

And, for your information, the OP would need a certificate from the doctor saying she IS fit to go back to work, otherwise her employer's insurance wouldn't cover her.

I asked the OP a question and for some reason you jumped in. Once again you have done the same. The whole purpose of a public advice forum is to ask for and to give advice. In order to give worthwhile advice, the occasional question may need to be asked.

Correct, I did post before reading the OP's explanation, hence my apology. And correct, the OP does require to be signed back on, as I've also already mentioned twice now I believe.

A referral to occupational health will provide more information than a certificate, this is the probable route that your employer will take and it needs to be put in writing as they will need to speak to your GP.

Sounds like you have streached the tendons and if so, will require corrective surgery, good luck.

I have already spoken to the occupational health Lady that work called in to chat with me, she also said it was not advisable for me to return to work until everything was all better, they wrote a letter to my employer stateing this. (i also have a copy)