Open up Sheffield castle remains!

I understood from what I read also includes Angel Street. the old coop buildings Primark.

Just thought....the old Co-Op buildings did cover the castle site, but these were the B&C Central Stores built on Exchange street in 1929. They suffered extensive bomb damage during in 1940 and Castle Markets were later built on the same site.

Photo here -

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s15487

I had a look at Fairbanks drawing, although the main part of the castle seems to be where the markets are in the fork of the Don and the Sheaf there seems to be fortification or ditch further along too along the Sheaf. At the back of Castle folds (presumably where they kept livestock) Then there is the Bull Stakes. Wasn't Ponds forge where they kept their fish stocks?

The 'Ponds' area would the manorial fish farm in medieval times. The Normans introduced fish farming and many large manors and monasteries had fish farms.

Ponds Forge is reputed to be the site of the 'Lord's Mill'. This was the corn mill driven by a water wheel and owned by the lord of the manor. The 'Town Mill' was at Millsands.

I've stood outside castle market everyday for years waiting for the bus and never realised that there was a castle even with the massive clue in the name you learn something new everyday.

i never realised either so your not the only one:hihi: is there actually any of the castle visible now or is it all underground?