Open up Sheffield castle remains!

I was in york at the weekend, It is such a nice place to go, and the place was fairly vibrant even for an overcast weekend such as it was. The place has soo many interesting places to visit....which is something sheffield lacks big time. Every where keeps building new things which are in vogue one moment and out the next,....places like castles will be with us forever.

I'm so intrigued by the possibilities with the Castle that I've decided to set up a website to collate all the information available, publish latest news and provide a forum for people to meet and organise support.

It'll take a month or two to get set up as I'm quite busy at the moment but I have grabbed the domain:

http://www.sheffieldcastle.info

so watch that space in coming weeks and sign up to show your support when the site becomes available. If anyone would like to contribute help to the site creation, in the way of illustration, photography or research, please PM me here. Thanks. :)

Interesting to note that at least four of the main domain spaces for "sheffieldcastle" have been bought up by Archaeological Research Limited. :rolleyes:

Do you want a hand?

Do you want a hand?

Sure, thanks. Please drop me a private message with your suggestions or offers of help. :)

Sounds great idea. I wondered if someone could also set up a Sheffield Heritage Site. There are 3 sites that list heritage sites and organisations involved but there is no site that brings them all together. The council site is just plain boring. How long do you think it will be till the new markets are built? Certainly won't be finished this month as it says on notice board. Excavations of the castle were planned for next year but have to have the markets move out first.

see debate going on under a tale of two castles on the Bleeding Heart Show

Sorry to dig up this old thread (pun definitely intended!) but I was trying to find info as to whether any visible remains of the Castle are currently availiable to view reguarly or by appointment?

Various sites suggest that there are but I can't confirm it anywhere. I'm really excited about this whole thing and would love to have a look. Can anyone confirm? :)

Sorry to dig up this old thread (pun definitely intended!) but I was trying to find info as to whether any visible remains of the Castle are currently availiable to view reguarly or by appointment?

Various sites suggest that there are but I can't confirm it anywhere. I'm really excited about this whole thing and would love to have a look. Can anyone confirm? :)

Check this link

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/markets/history-and-visits

"If you would like further information, or to arrange a visit to see the ruins of the Sheffield Castle which are located under Castle market, please contact us.

In person: Castle Market

5th Floor

Exchange Street

Sheffield

S1 2AH

By phone: 0114 273 5281

By fax: 0114 275 4299

By e-mail: [email protected]"

digging up a few old stones is hardly something to get excited about, can't see what all the fuss is about, i think some people need to get out more, thats only my opinion of course :|

digging up a few old stones is hardly something to get excited about, can't see what all the fuss is about, i think some people need to get out more, thats only my opinion of course :|

Watching 22 men kick a bag of wind about is hardly something to get excited about, can't see what all the fuss is about.

I think some people need to get out more, that's only my opinion of course. ;)

Watching 22 men kick a bag of wind about is hardly something to get excited about, can't see what all the fuss is about.

I think some people need to get out more, that's only my opinion of course. ;)

mmm kicking a bag of wind about changes week in week out - its a war without bloodshed, to billions of people globally its of the utmost importance, produces billions of pounds makes people rich adds excitement its a way of life - now lets get back to those (cough) underground stones - yawn :hihi::hihi: