Open up Sheffield castle remains!

Perhaps it would be more fitting to commemorate those died in more recent wars such as Gulf War, Falklands, Iraq, and Afghanistan?

That's a good idea too, but they don't have to be exclusive, there could be two including one for more recent local deaths in service. I think that would be really nice but I wouldn't hold my breath with this council, I think they'd be more likely to build a monument to Peruvian Yak farmers who died of altitude sickness in the course of yoghurt making than anyone in the forces today.

So what is really left of this castle? What will we see when its uncovered and how large an area will this garden be?

So what is really left of this castle? What will we see when its uncovered and how large an area will this garden be?

If you follow this link, it's a full report of the biggest excavation so far, with photos of what was found. That doesn't mean there's not more to be discovered.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=5885

Yes I've seen that but wondered if anyone knew what was under the whole of the market complex that is coming down.

Obviously some of the site has road or other buildings on it now and there is quite a bit under the coop so is that coming down too? Is the old town hall also on part of the site. I don't remember seeing all these finds that they talk of in Weston Museum either.

great idea rebuilding the castle.if they can chuck millions into burngreave.redevelopement ..this would be a attraction and benifit the city

people visit conisbrough castle and nottingham castle..with great intrest..even castleton gets a great amout of tourists each year..does burngreave..i for one would go,and love to see it..as would many others

The archeologists report sounds exciting idea, more than just a garden but a historic quarter with various attractions. Now that would be nice.

i love any thing like that..i go treasure hunting..with metal detectors.i get permition of the land owners..its great when your finding things thats been lost for many years..and love it when the farmers tell you some great stories about their land.what was on it years ago.i go down to ermin street.and the road that the romans built is still in situe..role on june when i can go back down...crops not taken out yet

you can see how they built the road.all the slabs are their ect..great feeling stood next to it..thinking how many romans walked on it..could not realy go on it in april.as they found bodies.a few fields away so it was a no go area.may be saxon/roman???