Jack Straw reveals Venables alleged sexual offence

You keep making these absolute stupid statements...why do you constantly do this?

Personally I don't think you're thick...that's an easy way to excuse you...what's your agenda? Is it because you feel the need to be on a team?

All you're doing is reacting, are you prepared to start defending your comments and turn this back into a discussion??

You can't, so why attempt to justify the original comment.?

..because people are influenced by the news media, I dont know who they are as individuals but as a population sample have a look at contributions made on this thread where the poster has based their position on information that can only have come from newspapers-I guess that's being influenced unless they know Venables personally or were witnesses to the breach that's brought him to the attention of the probation service.

Why do people find it difficult to understand that you can have sympathy for both Bulgar and Venables (and the other one)?

All children have the right to loving parents, a decent upbringing and having a sense of morality instilled in them. Venables didn't get that, and at the time of the offence was only 10, an age at which most kids lack the maturity to understand the consequences of their actions.

All 3 participants in the initial case are victims, albeit in different ways, and therefore I think they all deserve sympathy and understanding.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for a sensible and rational comment, with no pitchfork-waving, and not a villager in sight. !

Why do people find it difficult to understand that you can have sympathy for both Bulgar and Venables (and the other one)?

All children have the right to loving parents, a decent upbringing and having a sense of morality instilled in them. Venables didn't get that, and at the time of the offence was only 10, an age at which most kids lack the maturity to understand the consequences of their actions.

All 3 participants in the initial case are victims, albeit in different ways, and therefore I think they all deserve sympathy and understanding.

There are plenty of individuals that were, and are, the unfortunate product of a broken home or difficult upbringing. Theres not a shred of evidence supporting that these people have sadistic or psychotic tendencies. Why can't you accept that tendencies are obviously there to begin with, don't be so niave.

Have you not seen the numerous posts on here where someone sees a headline and thinks "oooh that would make a good SF topic" only to have it ridiculed a few minutes later because the actual article and the headline of the article do not match

The mere fact that they post it indicated that indeed headlines do influence people.

That'll be because they didn't bother to read the article. If it goes on to get ridiculed, then the headline obviously didn't influenced anyone did it.:rolleyes:

Moved the goal posts??... How exactly:huh:

You claim that an headline that is not supported by the content of the relevent article can inflience us in some way. What goal posts am I moving.. they're your words not mine. What you're claiming is nonesense!. You're talking nonesense, which you now realise and yuo're attempting to cover it up with false accusations.

If you are incapable of disseminating a coherent argument no amount of further explanation is going to help you. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of individuals that were, and are, the unfortunate product of a broken home or difficult upbringing. Theres not a shred of evidence supporting that these people have sadistic or psychotic tendencies. Why can't you accept that tendencies are obviously there to begin with, don't be so niave.

That train of thought has been discredited for a great many years.

Well yes, that is the exact point :loopy:

Someone, namely the OP, was misled by the false headlines - proving ENTIRELY that headlines influence people.

It is only after people point out the error that the influence is removed, although in some cases we have seen on SF they still choose to believe the headline....

As the OP I admit I was misled by initial reports and my choice of thread title shows this. I am not so pig headed as to state I am never wrong.

Edited by Zaytsev

..because people are influenced by the news media, I dont know who they are as individuals but as a population sample have a look at contributions made on this thread where the poster has based their position on information that can only have come from newspapers-I guess that's being influenced unless they know Venables personally or were witnesses to the breach that's brought him to the attention of the probation service.

Which makes it a topic for discussion, we shouldn't asume anything before we're sure of the facts, but unfunately hear say and half truths always get people chin wagging. We don't need the media for that.