Gatecrasher announce plans to build new Sheffield venue!!

lscott

Sheffield doesn't need another massive venue anyway. We already have Plug, O2 Academy and Sheffield Union to cater for the larger events that Gatecrasher have in mind.

A small, 2-3 room venue with a capacity of 150(ish) in each room would have promoters fighting at the doors to get in, and would lead to some really interesting events. What exactly do Gatecrasher hope to bring to Sheffield which we don't already have? I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited.

A small, 2-3 room venue with a capacity of 150(ish) in each room would have promoters fighting at the doors to get in, and would lead to some really interesting events. What exactly do Gatecrasher hope to bring to Sheffield which we don't already have? I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited.

and make no money whatsoever. great idea.

and make no money whatsoever. great idea.

You're telling me it's not possible to make any money out of a small venue?

The announcement here reads more like a marketing report ('edgier'... :gag: ), and obviously all Gatecrasher are interested in is making loads of cash. There is nothing wrong with this approach, but I wish they would drop the pretence of bringing 'forward thinking' music to Sheffield or anywhere else. It would be nice if fans stopped deluding themselves that this will lead to a significant change in Sheffield's clubbing landscape: all Gatecrasher will deliver is the kind of events which are guaranteed to fill large spaces. Are we going to see anything different to this or this? Unlikely.

Again, there is nothing wrong with this approach, but people should stop kidding themselves that a new Gatecrasher will lead to any real improvement. It wont. It will just be more of the same.

You're telling me it's not possible to make any money out of a small venue?

The announcement here reads more like a marketing report ('edgier'... :gag: ), and obviously all Gatecrasher are interested in is making loads of cash. There is nothing wrong with this approach, but I wish they would drop the pretence of bringing 'forward thinking' music to Sheffield or anywhere else. It would be nice if fans stopped deluding themselves that this will lead to a significant change in Sheffield's clubbing landscape: all Gatecrasher will deliver is the kind of events which are guaranteed to fill large spaces. Are we going to see anything different to this or this? Unlikely.

Again, there is nothing wrong with this approach, but people should stop kidding themselves that a new Gatecrasher will lead to any real improvement. It wont. It will just be more of the same.

The city needs another decent sized club. The only one that's even remotely pleasant at the moment is Plug.

Look at the other options around the city; Embrace and Leadmill.

Embrace is well, the less said the better and Leadmill has been rotting away for years.

The city needs another decent sized club. The only one that's even remotely pleasant at the moment is Plug.

Look at the other options around the city; Embrace and Leadmill.

Embrace is well, the less said the better and Leadmill has been rotting away for years.

We already have plenty of large clubs:

Plug (1,440)

O2 Academy (2,850)

Corporation (1,700)

Fusion & Foundry (1,300)

Octagon (1,600)

HUBS (not sure of capacity, but over 1,000)

Leadmill (not sure if this holds 1,000 but it must be pretty close)

Embrace (2,500)

Now, going on what the other Gatecrasher venues offer in Leeds and Nottingham, I don't see anything that a Sheffield Gatecrasher is going to offer which isn't already catered for by the venues listed above.

Edited by Rushup

We already have plenty of large clubs:

Plug (1,440)

O2 Academy (2,850)

Corporation (1,700)

Fusion & Foundry (1,300)

Octagon (1,600)

HUBS (not sure of capacity, but over 1,000)

Leadmill (not sure if this holds 1,000 but it must be pretty close)

Embrace (2,500)

Now, going on what the other Gatecrasher venues offer in Leeds and Nottingham, I don't see anything that a Sheffield Gatecrasher is going to offer which isn't already catered for by the venues listed above.

Plug - A pretty good club

O2 - It's a disgusting place

Corporation - I may be ignorant but isn't that usually a rock/goth night?

F&F and Octagon I've never been in, but do they have club nights that everyone is allowed admission?

Is HUBS open to non-students?

Leadmill - Another dirty, disgusting place

Embrace - A place to avoid at all costs

I guess its not a case of quantity but quality. I don't want to pay to get in a place that is disgusting. The Gatecrasher plan would create a "super club" that exists in most other cities but not Sheffield.

The thing is though that the clubs run nights which get enough people in to cover the costs of running a large venue. If you can guarantee filling your 2000 capactity venue by playing "lower quality" music, and letting "lower quality" customers in, but you can only hope for 1000 by aiming at "high quality" music and customers, it's a brave (or stupid) operator which goes for the high quality option. Big clubs have to aim low in order to get the numbers in.

Remember this is Gatecrasher, who stopped the world famous Gatecrasher events every Saturday to get Hallam FM to come and DJ instead.

what a shame our narrow minded council have recommended the refusal of this.

It is unfair to blame the council.

If you read the officer reports, it is chiefly the police and Creative Sheffield who have objected to the plans. A number of local businesses and organisations have raised concerns, such as City Lofts, Sheffield Theatres and the Department for Children, Schools and Families. Several local residents have also taken issue with the plans, and there are many breaches of planning regulations cited.

I don't necessarily agree with all the points, but if you read the report, all concerns are legitimate. The council have left the door open to Gatecrasher and suggested there are other more appropriate locations.

From the council's own report:

"This is a brand that started life in the City and would make a significant addition to the evening entertainment currently available. Officers have already offered to work with the applicant to find a suitable site..."

Edited by Rushup