Gatecrasher announce plans to build new Sheffield venue!!

Quite. Gatecrasher burnt down just before the smoking ban was to be introduced..a venue that had no way of adapting to the new laws. :suspect:

Seriously shady business.

It wasnt just the two fires (Bed then GC), but all the issues to do with the big Police raid a few years before (I'll leave the well worn stories off a public forum) and GC's attitude to any other club/promoter in Sheffield whilst they were here (heavy handed is an understatement) - I hope any application is knocked back

Actually, GC needs to return. Footfall since it went has dropped a lot. admittedly, the recession hit soon after, but it brings in people willing to travel from across the country. This improves the nightlife (potentially) for other venues, and for businesses.

Although, the crowd it attracts are a certain kind - which likes the white stuff, a few pills etc. - which the police and council dread having to deal with.

Sad fact is, if its left much longer, GC's brand presence will have become nada in Sheffield, which means lack of interest. 2 years back, it'd be okay, now.. i'm starting to question the wisdom of the investment.

no it didn't it, it was the month before.

Indeed;

Smoking ban: 1st July 2007

GC fire: 18 June 2007