Greaves of Sheffield

Does anyone remember the casemakers called Greaves on, I think, Matilda Street? They used to make cutlery canteens and hi-fi cases. I heard that the site had been demolished. Are there any photographs that someone can send me? Thanks.

My brother-in-law was Sales Director for a while.

Yes, you're right, site "redeveloped" now.....

Greaves also used to have a retail outlet on West Street as far as I recall....

You could try this excellent site that has many thousands of Sheffield images

it appears I cannot paste a link untill I have made 5 posts....the name of the site is "PictureSheffield".....google it and you will be there

Good look.

Thanks for your replies. I used to work there until I left around 1988 or so. It was an incredibly busy place with non stop overtime. Some of the old time cabinet makers (no offence Ten Bob Ted) had worked there for forty years or over. I suppose its decline was linked to the decline of the cutlery industry, the receivers were called in about '87ish, though I don't know when it actually closed. It was a hellish place to work at....the standards were sky high and the pay wasn't that good. The writing was on the wall when they started making garage doors. I made the first prototype and they insisted on such high standards it was bound to lose money. Ah well, happy days.

Originally posted by Touche

Does anyone remember the casemakers called Greaves on, I think, Matilda Street? They used to make cutlery canteens and hi-fi cases. I heard that the site had been demolished. Are there any photographs that someone can send me? Thanks.

I worked accross from Greaves at George Butlers, I can remember Mr Greaves coming every morning in his Rolls Royce. one of the men that worked there was called Stuart, I didnt know his surname but he worked there for years and he would help anybody, a women who befriended him asked him to go to her house just to check if her cat was o.k. She had split from her husband or boyfriend and he was hanging about when stuart went in to see to the cat, this man attacked him and stabbed him and killed him. stuart was a very honest, quiet and peaceful man and lost his life doing a favour.

The firm was sold to an Asian chap I believe but the business folded and now there are more bloody student flats there.

Ahh...I remember now...Stuart. That sticks in my memory, reading the headlines of the Star. I've racked my brains..Stuart Wolsteholme was his full name I think. He always said 'Y'alright kid?' If ever anyone would help you at Greaves it was Stuart. He was tall with tangled hair and most of all, he never moaned, is that right? George Butlers..I'd forgotten that one. That too was demolished wasn't it? Seem to remember Greaves making cutlery canteens for them. I know that things must move on but all these student flats and car parks (which I remember became the fate of the Butlers site) are no tribute to the hundreds of people that spent all there working lives there and all for the price of some tinpot clock or watch. Ten Bob Ted worked there for so long he forgot how he got his nickname!

Pardon me for going all nostalgic...does anyone remember the sandwich shop on Matilda Street? At tea break on Saturday mornings their sausage and tom were the perfect cure for hangovers from Friday night!

If you are talking about the sandwich shop almost next door to the Matilda Tavern it is still there and is still owned and run by Eric and I think his son. The saus and tom were brill back in the 80's but he's changed his suppliers so they're not as tasty as they used to be.

I worked at M.M. Bells and used to often have to come round to Greaves to ask for their workers cars to be moved from the side of the building if we had a particullarily long vehicle attempting to reverse into our loading bays.

Struggling to remember the name of the old guy who ran the warehouse [Alan?] but I know I borrowed the forklift truck off him more than once.

Alan...wore a white coat with hair combed over his head a bit like Ralph Coates - haha! I'll try to remember his surname...was the Matida a Wards pub? Glad to hear of Erics but its sad about the sausage & tom....gone but not forgotten!

Originally posted by Touche

Pardon me for going all nostalgic...does anyone remember the sandwich shop on Matilda Street? At tea break on Saturday mornings their sausage and tom were the perfect cure for hangovers from Friday night!

Erics sandwiches were great, I had several young lads working for me at Butlers and they always had two GEORGE B.E.S.T. --

Bacon , Egg , Sausage and Tomato. every Saturday morning.

Erics surname was Jarvis and I think they are still there.

You were spot on about Stuart, a very nice bloke.

i work therein 1953 my surname was taylor. mr greaves was a lovely man .

when he pass away he left all is workers some money. i had a great time there .

that was a long time a go now but still remember some of the workers .

I grew up living across the street from Greaves'. Dad was caretaker at Smith & Hill's. Jarvis' was the new shop up the road from Pheobe's. Pheobe's sold just about everything except sliced bread and they had a great big german shepherd dog. When we were expecting 'company', mum would send me to Jarvis' for sliced bread and I think it cost 4d (not 4p).