Fitting LED flashing lights to a car

Hey guys

Im after some automotive advice. I want to fit some LED amber flashing lights to my car. I want some under the grille and in the boot.

Whats the best way of doing this? Is it better to "properly" wire them onto the battery, or solder the wires into a cigarette lighter plug and run them that way??

Cheers

A

Aside from the fact it's pointless as you can't use them as you're driving, and it also looks amazingly chav, the easiest way is to stick the wires to the battery, although in doing so, you will have them on permanently, unless you wire in a switch. The proper way is through the loom, but that's a right pain.

I'd just not bother.

Aside from the fact it's pointless as you can't use them as you're driving, and it also looks amazingly chav

I dont need to use them whilst driving, and why does it look chav? They are for my volunteer role, so dont want the voluntter otganisation to pay for them.

Edited by Avalon

Just my opinion. It was an aside as I say.

The other thing to consider by the way is the power drain. I'd imagine it's not much, but if its high, you'll possibly need to consider a second battery in the boot, or leave the engine running. You also will need to consider how to get the wiring to the boot, and probably fuse blocks.

Fair enough.

I've got a 12v socket in the boot, so my preferred option would be to run it from that if possible.

LED's don't use as much power as ordinary bulbs so they won't be a big on your battery. The proper way to wire them would be through a relay, switch and fused link. Kev

hey guys

im after some automotive advice. I want to fit some led amber flashing lights to my car. I want some under the grille and in the boot.

Whats the best way of doing this? Is it better to "properly" wire them onto the battery, or solder the wires into a cigarette lighter plug and run them that way??

A

hi if you need a hand ring me ,,regards mick

They are for my volunteer role

Will you be fighting crime?

Just 'cos the Batmobile has strings of flashing lights, there's no need to be facetious ;)

Fair enough.

I've got a 12v socket in the boot, so my preferred option would be to run it from that if possible.

As standard? How good! What car's that then? That would actually be very useful (and you could pretty easily take it out, wire in a switch and your lights are sorted - the hard part's been done for you!)

Just a heads up but these are called <removed> lights around where i live.... Its defined on urban dictionary too...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

the stupid little, often neon blue LED lights that a boy racer will have on the bonnet of their (badly) souped up Astra/Polo/other random car your Gran wouldnt be seen dead driving. Users of these ****** lights are often 17-24 year old Burberry wearing idiots who hang around schools and colleges after final bell, honking any fit girl who walks past.

Just google image search the term "<removed> lights" including the quote marks to see what i mean. :)

Edited by medusa
language!

I saw a car last night with green light strips on the back, I couldn't tell what car it was, something small.