Fred Holmes Dance Hall

Does anyone out there remember Fred Holmes Dances on Langsett Road in the early 60,s

Yes i remember going there for ballroom lessons on Saturday mornings, would be about 1961-2

Was Fred Holmes dance Hall on the corner at the top of Wood street on the first floor, opposite the Wellington Pub?

I vaguely remember it but never went there but my wife went there.

Happy Days! PopT

My relative was the dj there for years his name was Jimmy Barker.Yes Fred Holmes was at the top of Wood street.

If my memory serves me right, I think it was called the Freada Dance school

after the owners Fred and Ada Holmes

As youngsters we used to call it Freds. We used to go on a Friday and Saturday nights. Fred and Ada used to show us all the latest dances, then teach us all it. I learned how to do the twist there, but I must say not very well. They also used to do a progressive barn dance where you change partners, this was very good cos you could get to dance with a girl (or boy) you fancied. Many a romance was started on that dance floor. If I remember rightly, Fred used to like a tipple or two andcould often be found in the pub on the corner.

Does anyone out there remember Fred Holmes Dances on Langsett Road in the early 60,s

Anyone who went to Freds to learn to bop were the best. I spent much of my teans there having a wonderful time.

Yes me and my pal spent many happy nights at freds bopping the night away happy days.

I used to have lessons there as a child,I had the same Sir name,people used to think I was their child.I also remember Fred liked a drink.They were always very kind to me and I have very good memories of them both.

When I was about 10 I had boy dancing partner,danced together well,

unfortunately for me,he liked football better than dancing with me.

I am 70 now,happy days.

My friend and I went to Fred Holmes on a regular basis,we both learned how to Bop there and from there on a different night would go to Southey Green Club and get some more practice in.It soon became all the rage for the boys to wear full drape suits with drain-pipe trousers,satin shirts and knitted ties bought usually from Bunnys on Snig hill.To top all this off a D.A or Tony Curtis hair cut from Fred's Barbers Shop corner of Charles Street.Bring back the good old days.

My Mam and Dad met there. Ron Oakes and Joyce Robinson....