Diabetes question

Hello, I have a family member that has diabetes. He is currently very worried and under hospital regarding his diabetes.

I just need to ask a question, do diabetic blood sugar counts fluctuate throughout the day? He is getting reading of say 9 in the morning and then as high as 21 throughout the day. He knows this is high and hospital looking into reason why. But question is do blood sugars fluctuate throughout the day?

I think he may be eating too much food, as in quantity of meal, (plate size) could this be a factor?

Don’t worry not going to take in stone what you tell, just trying to gain general knowledge.

Thank you.

Your blood sugars do fluctuate on account of what you eat.It is not only sweet stuff but fatty foods are just as bad for raising your sugar levels.My brother had this problem with his diabetes and he now eats a little often,but is careful what he eats.

Edited by Kidorry
correction.

I`m diabetic and what i do is to test first thing in the morning , a fasting test, blood sugars should register no more than 7 . Then , to get a really good idea of what food is causing BG to raise, test directly before a meal and then two hours after, the tow hour reading should be under 7 . If it isnt, then its two things , too much food and the wrong food too ! I honestly dont find that fats make any difference but carbohydrates do , even the starchy ones ! If he follows a regime of lowing the carbs he eats , which means that bread, rice, pasta and potato is restricted severely , he should find his numbers falling . If you need any advice, PM me x

Hello, I have a family member that has diabetes. He is currently very worried and under hospital regarding his diabetes.

I just need to ask a question, do diabetic blood sugar counts fluctuate throughout the day? He is getting reading of say 9 in the morning and then as high as 21 throughout the day. He knows this is high and hospital looking into reason why. But question is do blood sugars fluctuate throughout the day?

I think he may be eating too much food, as in quantity of meal, (plate size) could this be a factor?

Don’t worry not going to take in stone what you tell, just trying to gain general knowledge.

Thank you.

My son Adam was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1986 . He was classed as 'very brittle '. His bloods could vary from 2 up to over 40 . Getting teased and bullied at school meant that he'd come home upset , and he had countless admissions to hospital over the years .

On numerous occasions the school would ring me to go and give him a 'Glucagon ' injection in the classroom, as they weren't allowed to perform this duty.

Sadly , Adam died in June 2008 due to a massive hypo and other diabetic related complications ....He was 29 ...Diabetes is such a 'cruel' illness .. best wishes ...GUZZIOWL

My son Adam was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1986 . He was classed as 'very brittle '. His bloods could vary from 2 up to over 40 . Getting teased and bullied at school meant that he'd come home upset , and he had countless admissions to hospital over the years .

On numerous occasions the school would ring me to go and give him a 'Glucagon ' injection in the classroom, as they weren't allowed to perform this duty.

Sadly , Adam died in June 2008 due to a massive hypo and other diabetic related complications ....He was 29 ...Diabetes is such a 'cruel' illness .. best wishes ...GUZZIOWL

Sorry to hear this and thank you for sharing your experience. My sympathy goes out to you.

From the few replies I’ve had regarding this, I can see that it is the amount of food and types of foods chosen that is the most likely cause of blood sugar readings fluctuating. I have pointed this out a few days ago.

Will now have to look into diets, but it’s for him to stick to these!

That’s another issue in itself.

Thanks

Hi Sheff man, there are other threads on SF that youmight like to look up for info. My OH has been diabetic for over 40 years. He's always been insulin dependent and is quite strict about his diet and even the times he eats. Sugar levels do fluctuate all of the time and my OH adjusts the amount of insulin he injects and how much carbohydrate he has at meal time. A diabetic nurse should have loads of leaflets and guidelines on sugar control. Diabetes is an uncurable life threatening disease but with common sense and will power people can lead normal lives.

Guzziowl, I was sorry to read about your son. As you said diabetes is a cruel illness. It's without sense or reason, robbing some people of their lives far too young but leaving others like my OH relatively healthy into their 60's.

Hi sheff man and chimay ,many thanks for your messages re Adam , this grieving process is certainly taking some getting used to . Adam was buried the day after fathers day , and theres only 2 days between our birthdays in October. once again thank you..... GUZZIOWL

Edited by GUZZIOWL