Refurbished laptops - the truth

Can I have some impartial opinions on the subject of refurbished laptops please. I've been on a few sites which offer them, and obviously only provide positive information about them. Basically I'd like to know (considering getting one, possibly as a trade in from a shop, or online):

1) What is your definition of a refurbished laptop? (sorry this sounds like a questionnaire now:))

2) Would you buy one? Why not if not?

3) Any personal experiences of owning one? Do they last?

4) Is it better to buy a modest budget laptop new, such as a Lenovo G550 (one of the models I was looking at) or a refurbished Sony Vaio or similar higher-end laptop (which I have seen online for a similar price)? I'm looking for a laptop that would last, can be used both at home and sometimes on the move, and is lightweight. I was looking at refurbished ones which are maybe £100-150 less than the new model. (Wouldn't trust one that was too much cheaper than the original if you know what I mean.. too many times you get what you pay for!!)

Thanks people:)

If it comes with a proper warranty from either a reseller that's unlikely to go bust or the manufacturer themselves I'd have no issue with buying a refurbed one.

Answer to Q2 - probably not.

If its been previously owned by a business it might not have been looked after by its owner. From my experience they're not.

Plus the battery may be shot, due to inappropriate charging.

But so long as you get a good warranty - I'd want 12 months minimum, especially on screen and battery - you should be ok.

1) What is your definition of a refurbished laptop? (sorry this sounds like a questionnaire now:))
Taken in by a store or manufacturer, checked for any faults or wear, and restored to as-new status [not in looks (surface wear, scratches, etc.), but in functionality/features], and sold with a warranty (variable, from as little as 3 months or even less, to much longer).

2) Would you buy one? Why not if not?
I've never bought a new laptop. And I've had quite a few over the years (always as a matter of personal choice, never through failure). I have always bought them on eBay from private sellers, except an EeePC (701 4G) which I bought from a Forum Classifieds like SF. It's all about doing your homework - about the seller, about the laptop, and asking the right questions (especially about battery life).

I wouldn't have any quarms, but then again I just don't feel the need to pay extra for the 'restoring' and a (usually very limited) warranty, since I can do most of that myself. If I'm going to pay extra, then I'd rather buy new.

3) Any personal experiences of owning one? Do they last?
See above. From obscure WindowsCE tablets and webbooks 'before the day', to PII, PIII, P4, Celeron-M, Centrino, etc Fujitsu, IBM, DELL and Toshiba slates, ultra portables and 'normal' laptops. Never had one die on me. Same as anything, it will last as long as you look after it, provided you don't do anything daft with it (drop it, O/C it, use it outside manufacturer-stated operating conditions, etc.) ;)

The most common failure/first-thing-to-go is the battery, but that is down to usage and charging pattern, more than normal wear. Just don't leave it plugged in all the time, but if you're going to use it like that, take the battery out.

4) Is it better to buy a modest budget laptop new, such as a Lenovo G550 (one of the models I was looking at) or a refurbished Sony Vaio or similar higher-end laptop (which I have seen online for a similar price)? <snip>
(i) Firstly, it depends entirely on what you intend to use it for.

(ii) Next, the higher-specced the laptop, the older the generation I'd buy second-hand (unless you're buying refurb from the manufacturer direct, and/or with the longest warranty), if you understand what I mean.

The logic's simple: the more recent the laptop, the more expensive the parts, so if you're going to buy something recent and refurbished (with a shorter warranty period), and anything goes wrong just after the warranty expires, you'll likely face a heftier bill to fix it than with an older model.

EDIT - matter of personal choice, but I'd never buy a Sony. Not because of hardware issues, but because I've always found them very over-priced for the features/spec on offer, even second hand, starting with their early FX models years ago. It's good kit, but you do pay a premium for the badge.

Edited by L00b

Thanks for replies. I agree with the warranty issue, to be honest as long as a warranty is in place I wouldn't be too worried. However, having had a look at a few sites, they never have images of the actual laptop in question, and state that there may be scratches and other cosmetic damage to them - never stating how much. Of course they may be refurbished, but I know plenty of people who have had a laptop for 3-4 years and hardly any scratches, whereas others, it looks battered after a couple of months. Would be helpful to have an idea which you're going to get!

Suppose can't ask too much with refurbished ones.

Does anybody know of places/sites selling second-hand or refurbished laptops where you get an image of it, and more extensive info?

I wouldn't really consider ebay/private sellers as a warranty is critical to me, I wouldn't have a clue if something went wrong and don't even know anyone who would lol.

Edit: further to L00b's comments about Sony - I wouldn't call myself a brand junkie at all, just that they seem to be quite slim and light, if it works and has a warranty I'd be happy with other brands, Lenovo and Asus seem to get some good publicity.

Can you recommend this shop then Alchresearch?

Decided to play it safe and got a slightly more expensive new Packard Bell laptop from Currys:) I suppose even with a warranty at the end of the day I am reluctant to spend £400 on something that is not entirely new. Plus I'm not using it for anything requiring too high a spec. Of course if I was more clued-up about computers I probably wouldn't think twice about it!

Thanks for your help:)

I am using refurbished computer and i found no issue with it. Once you decide on the system that you want and have narrowed down where you plan to buy it, always check for online coupons before you buy.

You'll never truly know whats happened to a "refurbished" laptop before you buy it, which is why I would advise on avoiding them. John Lewis sometimes have refurbished/clearance models for sale.

They're usually poor value for money compared to a new one. A high end laptop from 2 or 3 years ago isn't as good as a cheap new one, technology improves & prices drop over time. Add to that the fact that batteries wear out over time.

Edited by anywebsite