Sheffield Theatres - Seem very quiet !

Decent and useful looking site. Just so you know, Sisters and There's Only One Wayne Matthews are both on at the Crucible Studio and not the Lyceum as listed on your site.

Cheers for that i've corrected them!

[ If people really want a laugh, go and see the massive range of quality that is the SADATA one act play festival. I've seen some ok things at the always half-empty festival, but a lot of very funny amatuer stuff. Think of the things you would see in a Peter Kay mockumentory (woodern performance, terrible scripts, shaking sets, non-existant directing, crazy miscasting) but much funnier because it is real!]

I agree with you about the One Act, its a shame that we don't get the audiences that we should because there really is some great talent out there and the festival allows groups to perform some really bizarre stuff.

The festival will be taking place again in June this year and we hope to have a programme available shortly.

I hope you like the play that we are presenting, its not exactly a comedy but there is some interpretive dance that will be worth a look!

see you there.

The Govt scheme anightlessordinary ended on 31st March as they ran out of money after the Govt cuts. Its a real shame that arts are going to get thumped by the cuts.

In response and trying to do my own bit for theatre that I love so much, I have put together my own non-commercial (it doesn't sell anything at all!) site describing the ways that Under 26's and students can still get free / heavily discounted tickets - the page is: londontheatreticketscheap.com

I am not ageist (I can't be as I am a long way over 26!) and also included info on how anyone can get cheap / free tickets. Hope you find it useful now that anightlessordinary has gone.

Theresa

I love going to the theatre but have found the prices a bit too much recently, for Mr C and myself to go it would cost about £50 for a couple of tickets, plus transport into town, maybe a couple of coffees and it soon adds up.

At one time Sheffield Theartres used to sell standby tickets which meant if you went at 10am on the day you could get tickets for that night's performance for £5 each, which to me is better than having empty seats in the theatre, but they no longer do this. I have seen many brilliant shows using this scheme.

However having said all that Sheffield is very lucky in that we have several very good amateur dramatic groups who put on plays and musicals at different venues throughout the city with reasonably priced tickets, give them a go you'll be surprised.

I love going to the theatre but have found the prices a bit too much recently, for Mr C and myself to go it would cost about £50 for a couple of tickets, plus transport into town, maybe a couple of coffees and it soon adds up.

At one time Sheffield Theartres used to sell standby tickets which meant if you went at 10am on the day you could get tickets for that night's performance for £5 each, which to me is better than having empty seats in the theatre, but they no longer do this. I have seen many brilliant shows using this scheme.

However having said all that Sheffield is very lucky in that we have several very good amateur dramatic groups who put on plays and musicals at different venues throughout the city with reasonably priced tickets, give them a go you'll be surprised.

If you like goo, reasonably priced theatre, you might want to check out this years festival:

Sheffield and District Amateur Theatre Association present the 2011 One Act Play Festival.

Local groups from across the South and West Yorkshire regions will be taking part in this year’s event and 10 plays will be performed during the 4 day theatrical extravaganza.

The event celebrates the very best in amateur theatrical talent and offers a platform for groups to explore new writers or revisit old ones and have their work judged by a professional adjudicator.

Prizes will be awarded for Acting, Production, Presentation and Dramatic Achievement and if you would like to cast your vote, there is an audience choice award for the best ‘moment’.

Programme Details

TUESDAY 14th JUNE-

Gosforth Semors,

“Mine’s a Pint” by Rod Duncan

53 Theatre Group,

"The Last Bread Pudding" by Nick Warburton

WEDNESDAY 15th JUNE-

Ecclesall Theatre Company,

“Heart’s Desire” by Caryl Churchill

Just Drama- Bradford Youth Players,

“Rabbit” by David Foxton

Dronfield Players,

“Orange Blossom” by Philip Johnson

THURSDAY 16th JUNE-

FRIDAY 17th JUNE-

Just Drama- Bradford Youth Players,

“Apparently Not” by Hayley Gordon

Red Redemption,

“Missing People” by Gill Buttery

Denys Edwards Players,

“Ritual For Dolls” by George MacEwan Green

SATURDAY 18th JUNE-

Gosforth Youth Theatre,

“Rabbit” by David Foxton

Dewsbury Arts Group,

“It Runs In The Family” by David Foxton

If you would like to buy tickets for any of the days (or all – discounts available for multiple ticket purchases) contact Jack Massey at [email protected] or call 0114 2551367/07710 277976

Tickets are priced at £8.00 (£7.00 conc)

Edited by Ginger53

The first couple of shows for each new production at the Crucible are at 'Preview' prices - often much cheaper than the main run. For example, Othello, which is starting in September, will be as much as £25 a ticket, but if you can get organised and plan ahead, the preview tickets are just £12. It's the complete production (you'd never spot the difference!) except you'd get it half price!

"....... if you can get organised and plan ahead, the preview tickets are just £12. It's the complete production (you'd never spot the difference!) except you'd get it half price!"

This highlights my problem, I am more of a spur of the moment person. I miss standby tickets not just for the price, I rarely plan to go to see something months in advance. Oh well.