Old Sheffield transport firms

does anybody know the history of two old transport firms caudles on queens road and bradshaw and bly on edmund road

Edited by jeffk
spelling mistake

....KFC now occupies the site !

in mid 1950s a MR E SHAW had interest in CAULDLES on Queens road he later put money in to H J TUFFNELLS ST MARYS GATE (now tuffnells on shepcote lane) H.J. as he was known was the best boss i ever worked for had a brother called cliff and a son DERRICK

MR SHAW expanded tuffs purchased a new fleet of T.K.BEDFORDS and built a new depot on woodborne road later moving to shepcote lane in the late 60s

sorry i do not know what became of MR SHAW or CAULDLES but they were still working at QUEENS RD in the late 90s

bradshaw and bly became part of r.d.b. freight lines at birley vale which is now shepherds distribution.

Caudles is at least as old as 1905, as the White's Directory for that year includes "William Caudle & Co Ltd, coal & coke merchants, lime merchants and removal contractors" of Queen's Road. William Caudle evidently came from Gloucestershire, as a coal merchant of that name is listed in the 1891 census return for Sheffield, having been born at Avening, near Stroud, in c. 1862.

the haulage side of caudles was i believe, taken over by phillips haulage (not sure if phillips are still going) & caudles removals was taken over by sbs removals

The Caudle family were from the Sharrow area**. My father drove for the company, in the late 60's early 70s.

The (sadly now derelict :( ) church, that stands near the traffic lights on Sharrow Lane was their place of worship in the 1890s.

Mr Caudle was one of the church officers at the time.

There is a tale told, as logged in the parish records of a church meeting which was held to discuss the expansion of the church into the land next door. (Now the turreted building, of 1906/7 which stands between the old church building of 1889, and Rock House, which stands by the traffic lights)

Mr Caudle on hearing the amounts needed to build the new building he leapt to his feet in the meeting and immediately pledged a large sum of money toward the new building, much to the alarm of his wife!

** sorry, Hillsboro, that line up there should read "Settled in the Sharrow area"

Edited by Plain Talker
to add a correction courtesy of HIllsboro

Caudles are owned by sbs, some of the original guys still work for them, jeff bob and dave.... its a good firm

And SBS is now owned by Clockwork!!

Caudles also operated a coach fleet up until 31st May, 1935 when they were taken over by SHEFFIELD UNITED TOURS. Their livery was dark red.

HJ Tuffnell had a brother called Joe, he was my step Grandpa. I met him several tiomes when he went for tea at Grans.