Help re potentially defective steam iron thermostat

I am wondering whether the thermostat on my steam iron may have packed up and if so whether it's an expensive and/or viable job to have repaired. Symptoms are that although the electric power light goes on the hotplate itself doesnt heat up at all and it also doesnt produce any steam.

Is it worth the cost of getting this iron repaired or should I take advantage of the sales and buy a new one.

It could be the actual element that has gone open circuit. Really needs a multimeter to confirm. Have you tried the stat at all positions? Unless its a very expensive steam iron, the part may not be available anyhow. Have you done a search for iron thermostats? Sismans in the Wicker used to stock such parts. And then it has to be fitted. I would be tempted to have a look round but I wouldn't buy a conventional steam iron less than 2000-2200watts.

I bought one from Lidl for about £14 a couple of years ago, its a Lervia 2200watt and it works beautifully.

Edited by carosio

yeah it was an expensive model bosch and probably not even 6 years old :(:(

I'll take it back to John lewis and see whether they can sort it out. Expensive as this wretched device was, buying a new one may be cheaper than getting the spare part and having it fitted. :(

thanks so much for your time and help carosio