Sign in to follow this  

Plasma TV repairers - know of any?

I'm due to pick up a 42" plasma shortly for nowt - woohoo.

Downside is its been water damaged and is currently not working, not sure whats wrong with it, hopefully something minor.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable repairer who will assess the damage and let me know wether its worth the job?

cheers

I don't know of any repairers, however you might consider selling on fleabay and putting the proceeds towards an LCD TV ?

Originally posted by coopster1974

I'm due to pick up a 42" plasma shortly for nowt - woohoo.

Downside is its been water damaged and is currently not working, not sure whats wrong with it, hopefully something minor.

Does anybody know of a good, reliable repairer who will assess the damage and let me know wether its worth the job?

cheers

What make is it? It depends what has been damaged. Plasmas are not easy to repair though.

I suggest you ask this question on the av forums. There are some real experts on plasmas there.

http://www.avforums.com/

I had a Panosonic Plasma that I had for just over a year and then it went wrong. The screen started going green in several places. The logical solution was to have it repaired because it was cost effective as the screen had not actually failed. In the end though I wanted shut of it and went out and bought a Sony.

I was in 2 minds on whether to buy Panosonic as in the past I'd always had Hitachi and Sony TV's and never had any problems. I wish I had stuck to my initial thoughts, but I'll never buy a Panosonic TV again that's for sure.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I had a Panosonic Plasma that I had for just over a year and then it went wrong. The screen started going green in several places. The logical solution was to have it repaired because it was cost effective as the screen had not actually failed. In the end though I wanted shut of it and went out and bought a Sony.

I was in 2 minds on whether to buy Panosonic as in the past I'd always had Hitachi and Sony TV's and never had any problems. I wish I had stuck to my initial thoughts, but I'll never buy a Panosonic TV again that's for sure.

Funny you should say that Lickzz, because on the Av Forums now the Panasonic PV500 is generally reckoned to be just about the best Plasma you can buy at the moment. In contrast, Sonys are regarded as over-priced for what they are.

Originally posted by LordChaverly

Funny you should say that Lickzz, because on the Av Forums now the Panasonic PV500 is generally reckoned to be just about the best Plasma you can buy at the moment. In contrast, Sonys are regarded as over-priced for what they are.

I'm not really concerned with what another forum are saying. I'm speaking of the facts that I experienced. When I pay the money I paid for any TV. I expect it to last a little longer than 15 months. That is why I returned to manufacturers that have given me reliability in the past.

thanks for that - i'll keep you posted how my "bargain" fairs!!

Failing that I have a sharesave due soon and if I manage to convince SWMBO I may have to invest in a full price one.

Following on - can anyone recommend a good 36"ish sized one?

42" is a bit too big but whilever its free then I'll squeeze it in but ideally 36" is doable.

The size will be 37". As i said earlier, the av forums are your best guide.

Right - finally got my hands on it - its a Pioneer PDP433HDE.

When I switch it on the pixels faintly "glow" but no picture, sound is ok.

In order to test what is faulty, does anybody have one who would be willing to lend me their media receiver and data cables?

If I cant get it working, I'm banging it on Ebay and putting the profits towards a 37" LCD!