What do Atheists think happens when you die ?

(2) If you look up Romans 5 the bible teaches that it was through the man that sin and death came about. Ms Stanton is just plain wrong - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin..."

So lets see, the Bible is not sexist because this passage tells us it was not women to blame but men. That's not sexist then? :huh:

If apologists want to focus on this passage and ignore all the others, some of which have been posted by plekhanov, then fine but don't expect such cherry picking to convince those of us that have actually read the Bible.

Not forgetting that we are always being told not to read single passages out of context.

5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

The idea of original sin remains. Somebody committed it, and everyone is blamed for it.

I appreciate that, but believing in the spirits of dead people and accepting that after death, the human soul can return in another body, yet dismissing the existance of god/s:confused:

It stands to reason that a lot of atheists reject the idea of god because they are interested in or involved in science type things, and will therefore not believe in any other supernatural theory of how the world works BUT, you can't expect them all to be like that, anymore than you could expect that nobody who shops at Netto could own an expensive sports car.

Edited by donkey

What are you blithering about? As has already been established you can be an atheist and believe in life after death. You can't be a materialist, naturalist, sceptic... and beleive in life after death but there is zero conflict between athiesm and a belief in an afterlife.

How can you not understand this? It's really very simple.

It's you that have misunderstood, I wasn't being critical about atheists, I was making a joke about those that consider themselves to be atheist, despite poking fun at theists yet believing in an afterlife.

It's you that have misunderstood, I wasn't being critical about atheists, I was making a joke about those that consider themselves to be atheist, despite poking fun at theists yet believing in an afterlife.

But how many of the atheists who 'poke fun at theists' actually believe in an afterlife?

I didn't notice any active atheists who contributed to this thread expressing a belief in an afterlife, so who exactly are you making a joke about?

It stands to reason that a lot of atheists reject the idea of god because they are interested in or involved in science type things, and will therefore not believe in any other supernatural theory of how the world works BUT, you can't expect them all to be like that, anymore than you could expect that nobody who shops at Netto could own an expensive sports car.

you are well named==donkey

yes-thats clear enough

you are well named==donkey

if you are so good at judging appropriate user names, why aren't you called Smug Tosspot no.WXY19?

about that god

Fascinating stuff. Interesting angle. The transition of Roman orgies into christian ritual.

But how many of the atheists who 'poke fun at theists' actually believe in an afterlife?

I didn't notice any active atheists who contributed to this thread expressing a belief in an afterlife, so who exactly are you making a joke about?

I'm making the joke about those that iv'e described, iv'e no idea how many atheists who poke fun at theists actually believe in an afterlife, I never had any paticular people in mind I was just genaralizing.

if you are so good at judging appropriate user names, why aren't you called Smug Tosspot no.WXY19?

cheers-i'll bear that in mind:hihi:

Post deleted.

Edited by Bridgeblox

I'm making the joke about those that iv'e described, iv'e no idea how many atheists who poke fun at theists actually believe in an afterlife, I never had any paticular people in mind I was just genaralizing.

perhaps these christians dont want an afterlife

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7065824.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7065824.ece