Sign in to follow this  

Bad decision to close bus lane on woodseats

I was sat in a queue of traffic yesterday morning when an ambulance (presumably from Jordanthorpe station) was trying to come through. unfortunately because they've now closed the bus lane with those ridiculous bits of kerb and pedestrian refuges it had a h*ll of a job getting through. It was bad before but it's even worse now with some many chicanes

Couldn't agree more. The bus lane was really good (not perfect, but then, what is?) and now they are totally mucking it up.

They say there will be traffic lights with "bus priority" - anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Somebody at the council obviously thinks we need 20-foot-wide pavements and tiny roads......

it is a shopping centre, after all ... and there are two primary schools in the vicinity ... when you get out of your car, except when you're on your drive, you're a pedestrian too.

The way some people drive through Woodseats, pedestrians need some refuge ... :help:

Originally posted by rubydazzler

The way some people drive through Woodseats, pedestrians need some refuge ... :help:

I've never been able to travel at more than 15mph through that horrid place and I wont be the only one.

:rant:

Woodseats has been a bottle-neck for a long time and I didn't think putting in parking bays would have improved ttraffic flow in the least but it hasn't made it worse either. The greater number of pelicans may be a bit more of a hindrance but plenty of he old folk round here appreciate the easier to get too crossings.

What I have noticed is the way that heavy traffic is now an all day thing , obviously worse at rush hours and during the school run but pretty bad throughout the day. Why aren't all these drivers at work? they can't all be sales reps

Well I was speaking as a bus passenger and pedestrian, not a driver - ok the extra crossings etc are good for pedestrians, but the loss of the bus lane definitely increases my journey times.

Most drivers avoid the A61 through Woodseats if at all possible.

It's always been a slow crawl but the changes carried out a year or so ago have made it an absolute no-no.

Now the Abbey Lane works have sent it even deeper, from a driver's perspective.

It's a shame, because such it does not encourage anyone but people living nearby using the shops there.

Originally posted by northernboy

Couldn't agree more. The bus lane was really good (not perfect, but then, what is?) and now they are totally mucking it up.

They say there will be traffic lights with "bus priority" - anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Somebody at the council obviously thinks we need 20-foot-wide pavements and tiny roads......

it means loops on the road to detect the bus, when its triggered the lights will change to allow the bus thru.

cities in uk are trying to follow european cities - making it more pleasant for pedestrians, more boulevard-like yada yada

e x