Don't Vote Conservative or Labour

The one to worry about is the media.They actually control ( if you let them) what people think.

if you feel none of the candidates at the election represent your views, get together with like minded people in your constituency and make your own party, just for your constituency

don't try to motivate or "take" the country, just those in your constituency

you won't take control of parliament but if your candidate wins your constituency then they will at least represent your views in parliament and not blindly follow the party whip

if this happens in enough constituencies then parliament might actually start representing the people, MP's may actually turn up for debates and take part, people might regain their faith in politics and vote again

the downside is that because there won't be a majority government it will initially be slow to react to crises

the upside is that everything will be debated and argued over - which I always thought was what was supposed to happen, legislation will reflect the desires of the people rather than lobby groups and big business and you will actually have a voice in parliament that reflects your views

it'll never happen though, the next election will put one of two horses into a position of authority no matter what anyone says here and I confidently predict that will be the situation for my lifetime at least, it's much easier to sit around and complain than actually do anything

but to all those who say I'm being hopelessly naive for making suggestions like this, that big business and the media control things and won't stand for change or something else will stop change from happening

1. we won't know unless we try
  2. where are your countersuggestions for improving things

maybe I am hopelessly naive, at least I'm trying, at least I have ideas that might help

the next election is a ways off yet, now would be an excellent time to start planning for it rather than shortly before it's announced like we usually end up doing on here

One might have thought that the financial, economic and political meltdown in Ireland would have thrown up numerous independent candidates. But not even their crisis has changed the Irish political system - it's the usual parties that are contesting the marjority of seats. The only certainty is that the outgoing Irish government majority party will not form the next government (even their new leader has admitted as much).

Based on the events in Ireland, I don't hold out much hope that your suggestions will be acted on in the UK esme by the next general election. The few independents and Respect MP all lost their seats at the last general election - although a Green MP was elected to parliament for the first time.

Never vote liebour or CONservative they have had enough chances and look at the mess the country is in.Lib dems well who knows what they really stand for? so there isnt much left is there.

One might have thought that the financial, economic and political meltdown in Ireland would have thrown up numerous independent candidates. But not even their crisis has changed the Irish political system - it's the usual parties that are contesting the marjority of seats. The only certainty is that the outgoing Irish government majority party will not form the next government (even their new leader has admitted as much).

Based on the events in Ireland, I don't hold out much hope that your suggestions will be acted on in the UK esme by the next general election. The few independents and Respect MP all lost their seats at the last general election - although a Green MP was elected to parliament for the first time.

neither do I redrobbo, as I said I'm doubt I'm going to see a significant change in politics in my lifetime

still as the alternative is giving up I may as well continue posting any odd ideas I have

you never know someone may listen

I vote UKIP- until the UK repatriates powers from the hated EU, the Westminster Parliament's powers will remain sadly diminished.