Becoming a teacher's assistant without qualifications

Is there any way of getting a job in a school (preferably nursery, infants or juniors, not 11-16) as a teacher's assistant, or something similar, without qualifications? I have 12 GCSE's (7 above C grade) and 3 A-Levels (2 of which are Sociology and Psychology, so kind of relevant). I feel really passionate about working with children, but am not currently in a position to return to college or university. Does anyone have any information that can help me?

maybe go to your local school and volunteer and then go from there, you will need a crb check before you will be allowed in any school

hello there.

i worked as a TA and cover supervisor for 3 years at secondry level with no formal teaching qualifications.

i have the same sort of "educational" qualifications as you.

invigilating is a good way to get your foot in the door as it's seasonal and most people want full time permenant work.

the school did the crb check for me once i had started.

if you are prepared to work with any age/any child you should be in with a chance. Remember most TA posts are 1 to 1 special needs, as this is where the funding comes from.

i would sugest you contact the council to see what they have available, but also, if you feel confident enough, ring the schools direct and speak to the administrator.

hope this helps :)

I would like to be a TA, Im currently doing the Supporting Teaching & Learning in schools course at college (Thurs a.m). To support this course Im doing a days voluntary work in the village primary...they sorted out the CRB check.

Im also a casual cover supervisor at a secondary school again they did the CRB check.

Good luck!

As Above..

before attemping anything.. you will need to gain voluntary experience..

and have a crb check before you start..

try becoming a reading buddie or helping with school activities to get ya foot in the door..

im currently training as a TA .. and thats how i got my placement with the school im at, by helping out with cafe days .. and charity work..

good luck!

Also.. The Crb Is Around £35..

Which Either You, Or School Will Pay For..

And I Sent Mine Off In Sept And Still Waiting For It..

So Be Paitent

x

Have you thought about studying whilst you are working in a school. NVQ's are a good way to get into the school enviroment and you get a qualification at the end of it.

That's how I started I just contacted a training provider, then sent a letter out to schools in my area and asked them for a placement. The training provider should be able to sort out funding for you. The pay isn't fantastic but I did a bit if cleaning work after my placement for a bit of extra cash. Connections in town are the best people to go to.

You can get jobs in schools such as play workers and dinnerladies without many qualifications, but you won't be able to progress up the ladder without qualifications. Hope this helps!

hi depending on what area you live in speak to your local schools about a project called ENGAGE. its hands on work experience whilst you train (within the school). Its unpaid but gives you all the qualifications you need to be a ta. the school you do your placement at will also offer you opportunities when they arrive within that school.!! well worth doing and its all freee!!!

Hi, i know this is an old thread but... Did u find a job as a teaching assistant in the end? If so how did u go about it? I left uni 5 yrs ago and have decided i would like to go into teaching, but i would like a paid job as a TA first to gain experience. I too have no qualification and my degree was an unlrelated subject. Ive started applying for TA jobs and got in touch with 1 education recruitment agency who said i need a minimum of 3 months recent experience either paid or voluntary. LUCKILY the hours i work mean i have time during the week to volunteer so this is something i will be looking into, i know not everyone is able to do this. I would love 2 know how u got on! X

Hi, i know this is an old thread but... Did u find a job as a teaching assistant in the end? If so how did u go about it? I left uni 5 yrs ago and have decided i would like to go into teaching, but i would like a paid job as a TA first to gain experience. I too have no qualification and my degree was an unlrelated subject. Ive started applying for TA jobs and got in touch with 1 education recruitment agency who said i need a minimum of 3 months recent experience either paid or voluntary. LUCKILY the hours i work mean i have time during the week to volunteer so this is something i will be looking into, i know not everyone is able to do this. I would love 2 know how u got on! X

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/school-based-training/gtp/about.aspx

GTP

Also.. The Crb Is Around £35..

Which Either You, Or School Will Pay For..

And I Sent Mine Off In Sept And Still Waiting For It..

So Be Paitent

x

CRB's are free for volunteers, and done electronically with a 5 day average turnaround time in Sheffield