Sign in to follow this  

Live8 concert sheffield city council

It's my understanding that the BBC didn't want to put up a large screen in Sheffield and were looking to locations where they already had screens booked in for other reasons. Last year there was the screen in the Peace Gardens as part of the same BBC programme. Similarly, the screen put up during the snooker is provided through the snooker contract.

I watched the concert on the big screen in Leeds yesterday. Great atmosphere, especially drinking outside the Cocoon bar overlooking the big screen. :clap: Can't wait for the World Cup, when there'll be an even bigger screen (around 8m x 5m) fittted in the recess above the Ha Ha bar to view the matches :D

Originally posted by march

When did Kingston upon Hull, get renamed "Even Hull" every time I see the place mentioned on here it is prefixed with the word, even. It is a fairly nice place now, nearly everyone who has actually been there says that.

:P :P :P :P :P

its better than it was

Originally posted by JoePritchard

I actually interact with people quite happily, thanks.

I quite like my neighbours as well.

It's just that I fail to see why it's the Council's responsibility to pay for people's entertainment. If you wanted to get together with people to watch the event, why not invite your friends around and get the TV on an extension lead? ;)

In terms of getting people together - I'd rather people got together and actually DID something rather than got together to WATCH something.

Joe

I agree. Now if it were say the first landing on Mars or soemthing I'd agree to a big screen. Its only a pop concert people. You couldn't avoid it even if you tried.

Could there not have been a compromise? Maybe a screen in a park or something like that?

I ended up watching it on my own as other half was at work and I felt a bit let down. It was the biggest global broadcast ever and while I was comfy and not getting sunburnt I wasn't sharing the moment for want of a better and less cringe worthy phrase :D

Originally posted by dinkdankdo10

i feel that sheffiels is well and truely behind other cities. again i use an example that i know to be fact, bar clsoing times, i knwo this is a hot topic but surely we are at an age where opening times of 11 are unrealistic with longer working hours etc. lookat other leading cities such as liverpool they have had bars opening till 2 for years now, sheffield only just catch on.

You got your facts wrong!

Sheffield City Council is NOT responsible for bar closing times. Licensees apply to the magistrate's court for an extension to opening hours, not to the City Council.

However, this will all change in November, when the new Licensing Act comes into force.

Originally posted by redrobbo

You got your facts wrong!

Sheffield City Council is NOT responsible for bar closing times. Licensees apply to the magistrate's court for an extension to opening hours, not to the City Council.

However, this will all change in November, when the new Licensing Act comes into force.

We hope it changes in November, and that the council aren't as bad as the magistrates, because licensing hours is yet another area where Sheffield is light years behind Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool, where nearly every bar stays open till 2 and sometimes 3am.

Good on Sheffield City Council for not supporting the Brainwashing Festival AKA Live 8.