Dronfield incinerator proposals - all discussion in this thread

I found out today that Cyclomax are based in Wales, they have planned 7 incinerators in total in the UK, non of them in Wales!! I take it then, that Wales does not have a waste problem.

I have no objection to the incinerator on the grounds of house prices or anything like that, its that the science for this incinerator is totally untested. This company have not built anything like this beforeand they are not building the "pilot scheme" anywhere near where they are based. You work it out!

Local Authorities commission waste disposal facilities - not Cyclomax.

Obviously welsh local authorities don't think they have a waste problem - but welsh local government has never been that forward looking. Cyclomax would probably love to build one in Wales.

How long has Sheepbridge been a residential area - isn't that the site of an old steelworks just outside Chesterfield?

This misses the point.

Airborne pollutants travel a long way downwind. Dioxins can enter the food chain anywhere, and once in the food chain they stay there. They accumulate in the species at the top of the food chain, i.e. us. Mothers then pass these dioxins on to there unborn children via the placenta, and to their new born children via breast milk. Dioxins have serious impacts on the hormonal development of the foetus and the young.

The site is in the centre of a circle of radius 5 miles that encompasses at least 30,000 residents. Make that circle bigger (allowing for the fact that nanoparticles travel a lot further) and the number of people this may affect will also increase.

It is a residential area. it also links in with dunstan and Whittington. It has a number of houses and a couple of pubs. Why not have a look for yourself.

There were houses right up against Sammy Foxes steelworks in Stocksbridge - and several pubs - but I don't think that made the valley bottom a residential area.

Ditto people living over shops in the middle of Chesterfield wouldn't stop it being a commercial/shopping area.

This misses the point.

But it was you who brought that point up in the first place.

Anyway - let's move on.

No matter how much we recycle there will still be a good volume of nasties that need to be disposed of one way or another.

What method do we choose?

No need.

I've read it, which is why posted the facts.

Anyone else can read it here:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1480527

Glad you read it, and good find - I had to pay for my copy.

I found it to be quite unbiased, as all scientific research should be, yet it left some very important questions to be answered.

Until such time that Cyclamax can answer those questions (with hard data collected in a proper fashion) in relation to the planned incinerator, I remain unconvinced that the incinerator is a good thing for the entire area.

The paper also went into great detail regarding the chemical reactions that occur inside these incinerators and gave examples of the types of chemical compounds that come out of the other end. It also mentions many, many illnesses and diseases that can be caused by such chemical compounds.

I urge anyone with 30 minutes spare to read it.

But it was you who brought that point up in the first place.

Anyway - let's move on.

No matter how much we recycle there will still be a good volume of nasties that need to be disposed of one way or another.

What method do we choose?

This one:

http://www.sfenvironment.org/our_programs/overview.html?ssi=3

Imagine a world in which nothing goes to the landfills or incinerators. We think it's achievable, and we're doing everything we can to make it happen in the residential, business, and city government sectors. Today, San Francisco recovers 72 percent of the materials it discards, bringing the city ever closer to its twin goals of 75 percent landfill diversion by 2010, and bringing the city to zero waste by 2020.

While we are well on our way to our diversion goals, ultimately we will need to look beyond recycling and composting to get to Zero Waste. This includes passing legislation to increase producer and consumer responsibility. In other words, manufacturers, businesses and individuals will need to be accountable for the environmental impact of the products they produce and use. There are a lot of ideas incorporated in the idea of Zero Waste.

Edit: For comparison, the maximum diversion you will ever get with incineration is 75% since 25% (by weight) of the waste you burn turns to highly toxic ash that needs to be disposed of (and not re-used - it is far too noxious). Edited by rich_b

And what do we do in the intervening years - you need a strategy not wishful thinking.

C'mon - what do we do with the nasties in the 10 - 20 years (minimum) it takes to get to "zero waste" (if such an animal exists).

Derbyshire has at least 30 years of landfill left, not the 6 years that Cyclamax disingenuously quoted on Radio Sheffield on Monday.

Dronfield, for example, already has black bins (residual waste), green bins (organic waste), blue boxes (metal and glass), and blue bags (paper and card).

I personally also recycle all plastics and have a large compost bin. (I am not, by the way, a tree hugger and nor do I vote for the Green Party. I'm just an average bloke with a wife and two young kids.)

We need to get business to do the same, i.e. recycle and split at source, and we need to get industry to design sustainability in.

This can be done. It is far cheaper than spending hundreds of millions on something designed to destroy.

Building a huge incinerator would simply set us back 20-30 years - recycling would in all but name be a thing of the past - because waste would be the fuel to generate the heavily subsidised power that Cyclamax want to sell back to us.

What a business model eh? Loads of government grants, selling us electricity made from our waste that we would rather reuse and recycle, all the time holding us back from the true path of sustainability.

Anyone go to the incinerator meeting at the school yesterday?

I wanted to attend but couldnt get to it.

It was very informative, Prof Paul Collett did a presentation on the effects of emissions from incinerators, the place was packed, must have been over 150 in the hall.

The press were there with a video camera.