Sheffield Beer Festival Mystery Band playing

Mr Bates

But at the end of the day, this years festival was the biggest and best one since the eighties.

Ciderman, were you the bloke on the cider bar on Friday afternoon? Me and my partner were chatting to you about making cider and you were telling me about some apple trees up near the ski slope. Where was that? Top or bottom?By the way, great festival, great food and GREAT cider! Didn't have any of the beer.

Edited by Yog Sothoth

see? this is a fair post. thank you for clarifying all of the points in a sensible manner and admitting to and explaining mistakes.

can i offer some other feedback?

i really don't like the way the beer tokens work. firstly why did the tokens say 1 beer on each? obviously everyone was quick to work out that 1 beer meant £1 but it could have been a bit clearer. also, fiddling around with loads of 10p's was very annoying. i prefer the system where you buy a £5 card with 50p's and 10p's marked on, and those serving behind the bar cross the values off when used. for people wanting to buy smaller amounts, allow them to purchase tickets that have been returned with small amounts on.

i would have done anything to get the beer lists printed, even bought a home PC and printed them off on that. i think that was a massive downer personally. perhaps even have printed a few off and stuck them to tables or something.

the tombola was the most expensive one i have ever seen!! 50p a ticket?! also, i saw a lot of people fall for the every 1's a winner trick. i know all beer festivals seem to do this but it always seems a bit unfair, especially at 50p a go, and the staff seemed very unsympathetic. plus i saw nobody win. i came home with a massive haul from keighley beer festival - 4 prizes from 10 tickets (£1.50 for 5). i saw one prize at sheffield of 1 abbeydale pumpclip - there were packs of 20 at keighley ;)

the festival was great over all and a big success and dave must be applauded for his efforts - a vast improvement on last year.

The tokens - we were let down big time by our suppliers (University press) who failed to deliver and had to dig out various tokens from previous years - we were meant to have £1 tokens and 10p tokens but had to improvise.

We considered the £5 strike through tokens that festivals such as Barrow Hill use but was aware they are very unloved due to the fact you often have bits leftover on the end that aren't enough to buy anything and are also harder work for the staff.

Tombola was going to be 50p each or 3 for a £1 but apparantly thats illegal these days under new gambling legislation. Ho Hum. I can assure plenty of prizes were given out!

Beer lists were printed to insert in the programme in time for the main Friday night session, until then it was available to print from the festival website and the information was available from the bars. The cider list could be found in the programme.

fair enough on the tokens front. bits left over on £5 tokens can always be returned for cash, just like i assume the £1 and 10p tokens at sheffield could have been? when i'm at a festival usually, me and my mates there pool our bits at the end and see what we can get, or return them for a couple of quid or whatever. most festivals in west/north yorkshire seem to operate using them now. although there was one festival, i forget which, which didn't allow you to return tokens! shocking.

fair shout on the tombola too.

with regards to the beer list, i was aware that it was on the website but i foolishly thought it would be available at the festival in the program too. its no good telling me it was on the website when i've already arrived at the festival. you use facebook to tell people the cider had run out, why didn't you send out a warning saying there had been a cockup and if people wanted a list of beers, they would have to print it themselves on the website?

Ciderman, were you the bloke on the cider bar on Friday afternoon? Me and my partner were chatting to you about making cider and you were telling me about some apple trees up near the ski slope. Where was that? Top or bottom?By the way, great festival, great food and GREAT cider! Didn't have any of the beer.

Top of Rutland Road, first footpath after Blakes Aeriels