New Class Timetable @ GB Sheffield

Gracie Barra Company is a global organization formed by more than 100 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu schools that has the mission of training body, mind and spirit through the highest level of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instruction as a means for individual development and the strengthening of the family spirit, going beyond the competitive realm. Headed by Carlos Gracie Jnr. Schools in the UK headed by Black Belts Roger Gracie, Braulio Estima and Lucio Rodrigues among others.

Carlos Gracie Jr. is the founder and head instructor of the Gracie Barra Academy, the largest Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school in the world, located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Gracie Barra's black belts include numerous world class instructors and athletes.

At the heart of the Gracie Barra mission statement is the goal of training both the body and spirit, going beyond the 'winning-losing' or 'contest' philosophy present in other martial arts. Instead, Carlos Gracie Jr. emphasizes what he calls the fundamental principle of Jiu-Jitsu: "Minimum effort for maximum efficiency," a method of utilizing strength through gentleness, an expression exemplifying both the mental and physical aspects of Jiu-Jitsu. In Carlos' opinion, Jiu-Jitsu is a method of education that can be used to foster one's personal development. Carlos considered the goals of Jiu-Jitsu to revolve around three aspects: physical education, personal achievement, and ethical growth. In other words, through the practice of Jiu-Jitsu, one would complete their personal development through the training of body and mind, becoming a person better able to contribute to society and the world. Recognizing the never-ending quest for self-perfection, even today Carlos Gracie continues to study these techniques and principles with his students. The constant development of techniques demonstrates his adherence to these principles, continuously striving for further progress and knowledge.

Gracie Barra Sheffield is under Lucio "Lagarto" Rodrigues, and classes are taken by John Goldson, BROWN belt under Lagarto. With Black Belt instructors such as Gabriel Kitobar and Lucio Sergio and Ben Poppleton.

http://www.theforge-ma.co.uk :- The Forge home of Gracie Barra Sheffield

http://graciebarra.com/home.php :- Gracie Barra

http://www.gracie-barra.co.uk :- Gracie Barra UK

http://luciorodriguesacademy.com/Noticia.aspx :- Lagartos web site

http://www.grapplingartsassociation.org/ :-GAAGB The Governing Body for Grappling in the UK.

http://www.efnsports.com European Fight Network

http://www.umauk.co.uk/index.htm UMA

training times:-

Monday

5:15-6:00 Kids BJJ

6:00-7:00 Adult Gi Class Fundamentals - White Belt

7:00-8:30 Adult Gi Class Intermediate - White Belt /// +

Tuesday

KICKBOXING 6:00-7:00 (option to stop till 7:30 for sparing)

Wednesday

5:15-6:00 Kids BJJ

6:00-7:00 Adult Gi Class Fundamentals - White Belt

7:00-8:30 Adult Gi Class Intermediate - White Belt /// +

Thursday

7:30 - 8:30 Adult Gi Class Fundamentals - White Belt

Friday

6:00 - 7:00 Adults Live Class BJJ Sparing

7:00 - 8:30 Adults NO GI Mixed Level

Saturday

Closed

Sunday

11:00 - 12:00 Compertition Cardio

12:00 - 1:00 Adults Live Class BJJ Sparing

Thanks GB SHEFFIELD

looking forward to the extra class on a thursday yet another day to get into trouble with the missus. Just got to get a class in on tuesdays and then it is the full week im training.

Got to say as a new addition to the group at Gracie Barra I thought it may help people who want to find a club to go to but maybe are hesitant to take that first step. I know i was and after meeting John (Goldson) i took the plugne and went down. It has been a fantastic experience. The quality of teaching and peer on peer help is something i have never had before. Immediately the group seemed to accept me and regularly get help from other trainers. The fundamentals class is great, just enough for us to get a crawling start, towards the end of each session there is the opportunity to roll at around 30-50% force to try and apply what you have learnt. I am feeling fitter already and if its a work out your looking for without the boredom of lifting weights then this may be the place for you.

The good thing is the beginners class usually has good numbers of blue and purple belts who are more than happy to help beginners such as myself with techniques. Other dojos i have been in the past have a rediculous up their own arse heirachy, it isnt beneath these guys to help you out, which is really nice.

Over all it has been a great experience, i look forward to the following mothe where i can hopefully shed some weight, tone up and maybe aim for some stripes on this belt.

thanks for reading and thanks to the guys at Gracie Barra

Chaz (Snake Man)

looking forward to the extra class on a thursday yet another day to get into trouble with the missus. Just got to get a class in on tuesdays and then it is the full week im training.

Got to say as a new addition to the group at Gracie Barra I thought it may help people who want to find a club to go to but maybe are hesitant to take that first step. I know i was and after meeting John (Goldson) i took the plugne and went down. It has been a fantastic experience. The quality of teaching and peer on peer help is something i have never had before. Immediately the group seemed to accept me and regularly get help from other trainers. The fundamentals class is great, just enough for us to get a crawling start, towards the end of each session there is the opportunity to roll at around 30-50% force to try and apply what you have learnt. I am feeling fitter already and if its a work out your looking for without the boredom of lifting weights then this may be the place for you.

The good thing is the beginners class usually has good numbers of blue and purple belts who are more than happy to help beginners such as myself with techniques. Other dojos i have been in the past have a rediculous up their own arse heirachy, it isnt beneath these guys to help you out, which is really nice.

Over all it has been a great experience, i look forward to the following mothe where i can hopefully shed some weight, tone up and maybe aim for some stripes on this belt.

Chaz (Snake Man)

Are you the guy who sold Jon the snake :)

Chaz (Snake Man)

Always nice to get some good feedback!

The club prides itself on its zero-bull**** atmosphere - everyone is welcome, egos not tolerated - we were all beginners once!

Hi.

I am also a beginner at GB and I echo the sentiments made by Chaz. The level of technical instruction is awesome and everyone is friendly and welcoming.

PS. Does the new timetable come into effect this week? I can't make the beginners class on wednesday but I will be able to pop down on thurs. I'm also looking forward to the no gi class.

Rabbit.

Edited by Rabbiteno1

Talking to John last week he said the new timetable runs from next Monday (4th October). However I think the Thursday sessions are going to be run by Greg so I'm not sure if he's starting the class tomorrow, PM him.

Talking to John last week he said the new timetable runs from next Monday (4th October). However I think the Thursday sessions are going to be run by Greg so I'm not sure if he's starting the class tomorrow, PM him.

OK. Cheers mate.

we were all beginners once!

What do you mean were?

Anything under purple belt = beginner

What do you mean were?

Anything under purple belt = beginner

Difference between novice and beginner - I've been training for 2 years so can't really call myself a beginner but still am a novice :P

Still we're both in the same boat by your definition :D

No argument here, i would always call myself a novice and you a beginner!

Calm down Guy I'll see you tonight

BTW i am joking but i cant get the smiley faces to work

Shut up beginners!!!

Im sick of helping white belts with technique!!!;)