Sign in to follow this  

How to get a job interview

Before leaving uni, I went to get my cv sorted and talked about various options with the career advisor.

The thing is, there just aren't many job vacancies for what I want to do (journalism, script writing & graphic design) and getting a company to even ask me for an interview is really difficult.

I've got a good cv - both qualification wise and layout and a good covering letter - so what else can I do for a chance of an interview?

Plus I do know it's the worst time of year to get try and get a job with school leavers and graduates.

I'm doing what I like now, but the money is poor I've never got paid on time ever - sometimes it's 14 days late, this means I'm always using my overdraft and of course getting charged for it. There's no chance of promotion either.

Any tips?

joanna, all these other jobs are wasted on you

you should be a driving instructor, after all, you passed your test first time

Originally posted by Joanna

I'm doing what I like now, but the money is poor I've never got paid on time ever - sometimes it's 14 days late, this means I'm always using my overdraft and of course getting charged for it. There's no chance of promotion either.

if a company pays you late and you are being charged, you should be getting re-imbursed if it is there fault

I believe it's illegal not to pay someone on time. I can't be an instructor because you have to have 3 years experience and I've not quite got that yet! I have considered it so beware!

Originally posted by Joanna

I believe it's illegal not to pay someone on time. I can't be an instructor because you have to have 3 years experience and I've not quite got that yet! I have considered it so beware!

how do you expect to be able to be a driving instructor teaching a pupil who is new when you hate driving on the roads as it is? when you probably teach them if they are being tailgated to slam thier brakes on.. i think you should stick to what you know best or roadrage will be up in %:hihi:

i was on the dole about 18 years..with time off when i was on training schemes, college courses etc (prolly about 5 years?)

and i can count the job interviews ive ever had on 2 hands

I DON'T want to be a bleeding driving instructor I said - Journalist, graphic designer or script writer. Something I can use my degree on.

So what do you do now? I'd rather be when I am then have to go on the dole. Is there a key to success - do most jobs go to workers already at the place? Or is it who you know?

Then you have to make sure that you are reaching the key decision makers and that your stuff will grab their attention. Have you asked anyone who 'hires and fires' to go through your stuff and give you feedback? Do you know which agencies are in the demographic areas where you could work? Do you have a **** hot web-site to point them towards?

There are loads of books on the subject or you could get yourself a 'life coach' or mentor to help you brush up on your skills. I have done some mentoring in the past but not in your chosen fields. My background is voluntary sector.

Some of it is down to luck but then who was it who said 'Luck favours the prepared'?

I've always wanted to know what a life coach does - now I know!

I don't have a website at all as I don't really know how to create one.

As far as preparation goes, I do try and do a lot of research. Interviews always worry me - so I've gone through lots of questions and got friends to help me with answers - but it's getting an interview in the first place.

Also, my contract says I can't be a graphic designer within a 10 mile radius of leaving my current employmnet.

I am getting down about this. I've searched loads of job websites and papers but nothing really. There are sub editors jobs but they want someone with lots of experience and I haven't got it and getting experience is difficult because of the competition.

i not sure if it will work for you but my mate got into a job by asking for a day a week work experience in her field. she would work for them for free while getting it on her cv. only downside is she had a minimum paid job to support her . but its worth a try to build you cv

I have provided placements for media students whilst at college. I am sure that some agencies would bite your hand off for a bit of free help in the design department or in getting publicity. Charities are desperate for it. I used to do all my own and it was a real pain. So how about some voluntary work to get the experience to get the job?

Otherwise you need to get experience in a parallel field and then move across.

You do need a web-site. It is the place to direct people to find out about what you can do. Thinking about it, I do have a contact who is now self-employed. I am sure she would be willing to have a chat. PM me if you want some more information.

Yes thank you! Any help is much appreciated.