New hotel near winter garden

Aren't we a politically-minded lot?

They build a hotel sandwiched between the Winter Gardens and the Town Hall and we refer to it as being near the former rather than the latter.:D

Originally posted by EyeSpy

Do we really need another hotel in Sheffield?

Leeds has 21 hotels in its city centre - with at least another six planned or under construction - and nearly all of them are top ones, and one of the planned hotels will be in the smaller (29 storeys) Criterion Place tower. If Sheffield is to attract business then it does need more hotels.

Originally posted by firecracker

Still, if that 31-storey development doesn't get built at 31 storeys or more, Sheffield will only fall further behind Leeds and Manchester (it'll still be behind, even with that building).

If all we after doing is copying Leeds and Manchester then any old piece of tall crap will do, if we are after creating our own distinctive city centre then we need to take a bit more care.

Bigger isn't always better.

It makes me wonder if half the people on this forum have ever even left Sheffield and visited other cities recently, it hits you like a ton of bricks how far behind Sheffield is lagging when you visit other big cities!

Originally posted by skyfitsboy

It makes me wonder if half the people on this forum have ever even left Sheffield and visited other cities recently, it hits you like a ton of bricks how far behind Sheffield is lagging when you visit other big cities!

Leeds might be considered "ahead" of us, but I don't like Leeds city centre, it's to overbuilt, Manchester is better, and Birmingham, but Leeds doesn't do it for me at all.

Originally posted by nick2

Leeds might be considered "ahead" of us, but I don't like Leeds city centre, it's to overbuilt, Manchester is better, and Birmingham, but Leeds doesn't do it for me at all.

I not talking about Leeds, even smaller cities like Nottingham, Newcastle, Cardiff and Bristol all have city centres more attractive and successful than Sheffields.

I wouldnt even utter Sheffield in the same sentence has Birmingham and Manchester or even leeds.

Originally posted by skyfitsboy

[b

I do like the Winter Gardens, but think it is WAY over-rated! [/b]

Just as well then that the building will be all but invisible by the time the the rest of the development is finished. McDonalds already seem to be touting the Winter Gardens as a facility for their paying guests, rather than a public amenity.....perhaps that is what the council intended them to be all along :D

Originally posted by AndrewC

But some people just go on and on complaing, its very offputting to tourists and inward investors.

I doubt that 'tourists and inward investors' listen to the people of Sheffield any more than the council do :rolleyes:

is it me or does the big spikey thing on top of the hotel look suspiciosly like a sneeky mobile phone mast...???gotta go but will catch up with thread tomorow

Originally posted by Greybeard

I doubt that 'tourists and inward investors' listen to the people of Sheffield any more than the council do :rolleyes:

I disagree, the overall feel for a town, how positive it is, how much it wants something is often a factor in big developments - We were in a way lucky that this city is a big fan of having the snooker championships, that was the key in keeping them here.

PLus lots of money no doubt!

is it me or does the big spikey thing on top of the hotel look suspiciosly like a sneeky mobile phone mast...???

Originally posted by AndrewC

I disagree, the overall feel for a town, how positive it is, how much it wants something is often a factor in big developments - We were in a way lucky that this city is a big fan of having the snooker championships, that was the key in keeping them here.

PLus lots of money no doubt!

Well money of course and more importantly fat profit...but sadly there's little of that to be made from speculative buiding in Sheffield.

I still feel the council have sold the 'town' and the people of Sheffield down the river with the St. Pauls development. The Peace Gardens are surrounded on three sides by quite decent Victorian architecture and the new buildings will stick up like a sore thumb, - as incongruous as was the Town Hall Extension they replace.

And as for how much the 'town' wanted this development, my recollection is that there was a considerable public outcry when the plans were announced. My impression was that the council were desperate to get the site developed and weren't too fussy about who did it or what kind of buildings went up.