Bendy Bus sheffield

I would still like to know how the drive system in the new FTR bendy's in York work? does anyone know? our old buses had the engine in the front part driving the wheels of the unit, in effect, it was like a single decker towing the rear portion.

The FTR has the engine in the very rear of the rear unit, which wheels are driven? I would have thought that the very rear wheels pushing the rest along would make for a dangerous combination, would love any info on this.

:o that's a frightening thought! :wow:

does anyone know if the MAN bendies still exist or were they all scrapped

2003 is listed as export stagecoach austrailia the others arnt listed as scrapped however I have a shot of one of them in a barnlsey yard well gone . Ill see if i can find any scrap details for any of the mans

I would still like to know how the drive system in the new FTR bendy's in York work? does anyone know? our old buses had the engine in the front part driving the wheels of the unit, in effect, it was like a single decker towing the rear portion.

The FTR has the engine in the very rear of the rear unit, which wheels are driven? I would have thought that the very rear wheels pushing the rest along would make for a dangerous combination, would love any info on this.

I think the Citaro's in London are the same, the rearmost wheels are driven, incidently I think Stagecoach ran some bendibus type coaches, I remember seeing one in Scotland a few years ago.

Thanks for that info Terry, it still seems a very potentially dangerous drive system to me if only the rear wheels of the combination are driven, can't imagine the handling in snow or other slippy weather, if any of our experts have any comment on this, would love to hear it.

Nothing to do with seffield hills whatsoever, it is purley practicle what do you get in return for using a massive long bus which needs a lot of room for garaging and on the highway, the only depot that can fit them in ie the pits etc are big enough is Rothehram (OG never had them based there ) the answer is : very few seats , there as also been problems with relaibility elsewhere its very rare that i go to york and see the bendi bus route with a full allocation of bendis on it .

i remember going on the first bendi bus that came to sheffield on trial when i was a kid,my dad tells me also that when the flat front buses first arrived in sheff in the 60's they all had to be sent back to have gearing changed for sheffields famous hills because they could'nt get up half of them.

i remember going on the first bendi bus that came to sheffield on trial when i was a kid,my dad tells me also that when the flat front buses first arrived in sheff in the 60's they all had to be sent back to have gearing changed for sheffields famous hills because they could'nt get up half of them.

....just for your info , the Dab-Saurer "yellow" Left hand drive "trial" bendibus was used during late summer of '77, and eventually led to the subsequent orders of them. ;)

To the Question on being Preserved, but I think I have to be Honest that I don't think that none of the bendy buses was'nt reserved and it was ashamed to see this, but with myself also being a main experience bus hobby person myself that I found that some of the other Sheffield Buses like the Leyland Atlantean 5929 or any of the bendy buses.

But also I have just been reading a online news about the London Bendy Buses was up in Smoke in Malta and they were removed from the Capital by Boris Johnson who was supposed to be a City Mayor and according to his words that he was happy to get rid of them he said in his comments in the News over the bendy buses and to my comment over his I be happy to get rid of Johnson and give him out of our Transport System.

But anyway, back to the bendy buses and sorry that I don't think any of the bendy buses was'nt saved and I think that either these went to Manchester or sold on by the local transport company during that era or Scrapped by the Bus Company during that time.

God Bless

Christopher Norris.

There is one preserved in Mainline livery in Rotherham fleet number 2013.

One of the origional leylanf (National ) bendi buses was preserved at Winkleigh it was the one from eureka at Halifax

Guest busdriver1

The locally preserved one will be on show this Sunday (23rd) at the SYTT open day in Rotherham. 1-3, Eastwood Trading Estate, Chesterton Rd, Rotherham

Free buses running from Corporation Street outside Wilko's and free admission.