Sign in to follow this  

Old Railway Routes in the Peak District

I have read with interest all of the archived threads about the Old Victoria Station and the Woodhead Tunnel. They aroused a certain curiosity in me and I was wondering if any of you lovely forumers could help me...

I'm originally from Chinley in the Peak District, and I'm told that the station there, along with Dore used to be much bigger and more important than they are now. I have found some pictures of Chinley station in its heyday but they are fairly unclear. Does anybody know where I could find some good quality pictures of what these stations looked like?

Also, does anybody have any information on Millers Dale Station? I remember being taken there when I was very little and playing on the old platforms there before walking along the old line in either direction and through/around some tunnels (some were bricked up, others weren't)... Where did these lines go to? And are the platforms, station buildings, tunnels etc still there?

Thanks in advance for any info/links you may be able to provide!

I think there used to be a line to Bakewell from there?? You can still go through the tunnels at Millers Dale when on the guided walks organised by the Rangers.

B

Have a look at my fotopic website, there's a section on Millers Dale with photos taken in April of this year.

There are some beautiful walks on this old trackbed which I recommend to anyone :)

Thanks Bourne and Scutts - beautiful photos and I'm looking on the web for details of some of the rangers walks. I have done several of the rail bed walks but I was only little and wasn't really paying attention... Seem to remember some kind of water storage tank near the station? And lime kilns further up?

I have abseiled from one of the railway bridges - the one that goes over the river and into a bricked up tunnel (where the path leaves the railbed). Again I was only about 14 and was too busy soiling my pants to really take any notice of what was around me!!!

Bung Chinley and some other arguments such as rail or station in to Google and you will get some really good stuff.

There was a junction at Chinley. The line to London St Pancras diverged from the the Sheffield line at this point. This line is famous for the 'Blue Pullmans', a precursor to the HST (aka Intercity 125). Damn shame it was severed.

sheff-minx, - have a look here...

http://www.yourmapsonline.org.uk/

You can download lots of old county maps. The Bacon's Popular Atlas of the British Isles series(1904) are very good for the routes of now long forgotten railway lines and show all the stations and little halts along these old lines.

The maps for Cheshire, Derbyshire and Yorks SW show plenty of railway detail.

One of my unfullfilled teenage dreams in the 50s was to travel on that diesel railcar that ran from Manchester to Boston. It must have beena spectacular and very scenic route. :(

Originally posted by sheff_minx

... Seem to remember some kind of water storage tank near the station? And lime kilns further up?

I've just added two pictures to my Millers Dale collection. One of the old watertank and one of the limekilns. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by sheff_minx

I have abseiled from one of the railway bridges - the one that goes over the river and into a bricked up tunnel (where the path leaves the railbed). Again I was only about 14 and was too busy soiling my pants to really take any notice of what was around me!!!

Found another picture of the Chee Dale Viaduct complete with abseilers! The kids were only about 12 years old and far braver than me :shocked: I've also uploaded this to my Millers Dale collection.

Originally posted by Scutts

Found another picture of the Chee Dale Viaduct complete with abseilers! The kids were only about 12 years old and far braver than me :shocked: I've also uploaded this to my Millers Dale collection.

How did you get on to the old viaduct at Millers Dale? I wanted to get over to that one but it was all barb-wired off.

The disused viaduct is fenced off. My pictures were taken through the railings at either end. I think I'm right in saying the the disused one is the one built in 1905 whilst the earlier one, 1863, is the one you can walk across (MY labels on my site are a bit mixed up :gag: )

If you go to this link and click on the picture Along

The Line you will be takjen on a tour of the railkway from Matlock to Buxton which includes photos of the viaduct and stations and such along the way.

I was a member here before I came to Canada and I know from my visits to the site that a lot of work has been done on the old sidings at Rowsleyand the run steam locos at the weekend or at least they used to. It's well worth a visit if you get chance.

http://www.peakrail.co.uk/index.htm