Growing up in Beighton

Life was more black and white there weren't so many grey area's lol

my name is andrew durham and i live in blackpool and i was looking up information about my late grandad leslie durham who lived in beighton along with my dad barry durham who grew up in beighton too and wondered if any of you knew them and wondered if my grandad was that youth club worker at church that was mentioned...

Hi Andrew - Not from Sheffield at all but my family knew yours through summer holidays in St Annes, staying at the same guest house in Orchard Road run by Miss Wood. Les & Flo Durham with son Barry were there year on year. Les used to talk about his Youth Club and the fact that Dave Berry, local singer who hit the big time, used to perform there! I recall Barry got a job in a Radio/TV shop as repair man

For all those people brought up in Beighton during the '50s & '60s can anyone remember the old anti aircraft site situated at the side of the Beighton - Halfway road. All I can remember, even though I was a regular visitor, were what we thought were some gun emplacements, and some concrete "pill box/or shelter" type of buildings.

I can't remember the name of the road the were on, but if you approached Beighton from Drakehouse Lane and turned right up the hill before you got to Sothall club and right at the Y junction at the top of the hill, the site was immediately on your left.

For all those people brought up in Beighton during the '50s & '60s can anyone remember the old anti aircraft site situated at the side of the Beighton - Halfway road. All I can remember, even though I was a regular visitor, were what we thought were some gun emplacements, and some concrete "pill box/or shelter" type of buildings.

I can't remember the name of the road the were on, but if you approached Beighton from Drakehouse Lane and turned right up the hill before you got to Sothall club and right at the Y junction at the top of the hill, the site was immediately on your left.

The road was called eckington rd and the site was an anti aircraft gun site during the war. After the war the buildings were used for displaced people for a time eventually it was all pulled down. Now an housing estate

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 19:53 ----------

I lived in Beighton in in the 50's n 60's we had a shop on High st next to the Little bike repair man and the shoe shop went to Brookhouse and was taught at secondary by Mrs Hardy, Mr Darker was our form teacher after that. he taught gardening. after that Mr Betts.

Mr hardy was our head teacher.I have posted a picture of the football team on the Sheffield history site from 64 If I remember correctly

Kevan

Peckhams or was it before or after them?? the shoe repair shop was up across from the Cumberland head pub

Peckhams down near the picture house

The road was called eckington rd and the site was an anti aircraft gun site during the war. After the war the buildings were used for displaced people for a time eventually it was all pulled down. Now an housing estate

Kevan

Peckhams or was it before or after them?? the shoe repair shop was up across from the Cumberland head pub

The shop across from the picture palace was George Peckham he ran a plumbing buisness and was well known in beighton. George used to live in the cabins that were used by the gunners and he was evacuated from London in

the blitz . He had a son who would be about 68 today.

Kevan

Lived at grocers on high st 79 jack freeman had bike shop which later became J.T.Woodhead fish and chips the shoe shop became Ossie Bennets car spares opposite was sweet shop and the old blacksmiths workshop which uncle jack and my dad used to garage their vans

I had a good friend in Beighton in the 1960s/70s and when I used to visit we would go down to the Fox. I loved the pub and will never forget the numerous guys sat there playing chess! (Not crib or dominos there!) I never saw that before, or since, in UK! The barmaids used to take the mickey out of me for my 'posh' accent: ) I was never posh, just born in Cheshire!

This leads me to the point of my message here: Does anyone know the Parkes family?? My friend was Peter Parkes, but I cannot remember their family address, except that it was a short walk from the Fox, downhill!!

Might be a long shot, but I'm trying:) Peter would be about 65 now, as I am myself.

Googling the Fox now it looks newer than I remember it then. I would love to hear from someone who could help my memory.

John.

I had a good friend in Beighton in the 1960s/70s and when I used to visit we would go down to the Fox. I loved the pub and will never forget the numerous guys sat there playing chess! (Not crib or dominos there!) I never saw that before, or since, in UK! The barmaids used to take the mickey out of me for my 'posh' accent: ) I was never posh, just born in Cheshire!

This leads me to the point of my message here: Does anyone know the Parkes family?? My friend was Peter Parkes, but I cannot remember their family address, except that it was a short walk from the Fox, downhill!!

Might be a long shot, but I'm trying:) Peter would be about 65 now, as I am myself.

Googling the Fox now it looks newer than I remember it then. I would love to hear from someone who could help my memory.

John.

/

hi. i was one of the chess players .. I used to play darts with P parks dad Andrew nickname was Slim Parkes

Peter Parkes lived on Platts Drive 2 doors away from me. Peter passed away some time since. Read page 6 of this thread his sister is on here as purrkins.

Hi Spider.

Wow! That was a quick one: ) I can't quite believe it!

So you you knew Peters dad!! I couldn't remember his dads name, and did read some references to 'Slim' Parkes elsewhere on the site, but wasn't sure it was him. He was separated from his wife at the time I knew Peter, and she was living in Maltby then. Peter had a younger sister, but again my memory can't recall her name.

I would love to contact Peter again, I knew him from being a 12 year old. Would you know anything about him, or his whereabouts pehaps? I wouldn't mind betting he is still in the area.

I will never forget the pub and the chess playing there. It was so unusual. I had a few games with the guys, but names won't come to me.... It was a long time ago: ) I do remember the barmaids were very friendly and nice to 'outsiders' like me.

I live in Gloucester now but have been planning to come up there and at least check out the Fox. And just see what I could find out. For old times sake. Before it's too late, if you see what I mean.

Do you still go into the pub perhaps?

I've been searching on the web since 2005 and got precisely nowhere until I came across this site tonight.

John.

---------- Post added 16-11-2013 at 21:10 ----------

Oh! I didn't see Tuppies post until I posted my last: (

I'm so sorry to hear that... I don't quite know what to say here right now....

John.

John.

Hi John have you tried the old Beighton site on face book lots of photo's and lots of old beightoners

No. I haven't tried anything since learning my friend is now gone.

Just coming to terms with knowing it.

Thanks for your info all the same.

Cheers, John.

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 15:43 ----------

Thanks for your help and info Tuppie. I would love to PM a couple of people right now but I need to have 5 posts before I can do that. Only last night night did I find out the facts....

I understand why that block is there, but I'd just like to know the answers to obvious questions I have right now. Last night I was so pleased to have made a real 'contact' after all these years, only to find I was too late to do it.

A pretty sad situation really.

John.