Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations for finding a job?

What sector are you after? Let me know and i'll go through the list of agencies I have. If you register on http://www.jobs-quest.com and create a CV i'll put some jobs on there for you

Originally posted by Cyclone

just make a prediction, and tell them that it's your reasonable estimate of what you'll get.

Thanks, that is what I thought but just wanted confirmation from somone else. I could probably have got a lot more help from uni about all this but I haven't really had time with exams and revision!

IT wise - BT has a huge IT department in Sheffield. Apparently all of their recruitment is done through Hays

Well I have found http://www.jobserve.com to be pretty good (so far). After trauling all of the sites all day this is the only one to result in an interview for something that sounds ok.

My boyfriend found his perfect job as a IT Assistant at a company called Gripple in Sheffield on fish4.co.uk, however fish4 were advertising for another agency - management bank I think (try googling it for a website as I don't know the address!)

To update for anyone else looking for IT jobs, I take back what I said about JobServe. :) I have now wasted loads of time applying for jobs on there and apart from the one I got an interview for, nearly all of the rest seem to already be closed. A lot of the jobs auto renew once a week so they look fresh when in fact they went weeks ago. Reed is similar as well. The culprit seems to be a website called "Job Board" (I think) that employers or more regularly agencies can submit jobs to that then get sent round all the "round up" (ones that list jobs shown elsewhere) websites.

So while it takes more time the best method I have found is speculative letters and trawling all of the individual agencies. As well as looking at the vacancy pages of major companies that are always recruiting. Most of this was suggested earlier on here!

you might try cwjobs.co.uk that's fairly good.

and gojobsite.co.uk

Thanks! They are both already on my daily search list. :thumbsup:

Trust me to choose a degree that prepares you perfectly for a career you can't get in to without 3+ years experience any more unless you start at shool leavers level. :( Plus it seems I missed the boat on the graduate vacancies. How do they expect you to finish your dissertation revise for exams and apply for graduate vacancies all at once. I am considering finding something that will look good on my CV to do until the graduate vacancies come round again. Probably not the best idea though.

Originally posted by march

Thanks! They are both already on my daily search list. :thumbsup:

Trust me to choose a degree that prepares you perfectly for a career you can't get in to without 3+ years experience any more unless you start at shool leavers level. :( Plus it seems I missed the boat on the graduate vacancies. How do they expect you to finish your dissertation revise for exams and apply for graduate vacancies all at once. I am considering finding something that will look good on my CV to do until the graduate vacancies come round again. Probably not the best idea though.

weren't you advised to start applying for vacancies at the start of your final year, I was before I left. I think I applied for this job nearly a year before I started here.

No, we got told about the odd vacancy towards the end of the year. I assume they expected us to already know about how graduate roles were filled. So I guess that makes it my own fault for not finding out till too late. Most of the graduate roles aren't really what I want to do anyway, although I think I would get satisfaction from anything that uses the skills I have from my degree and placement. This is why I don't want be a call logger for a year or so, I don't think it will add anything to my CV as I had more responsibility and used more skills on placement, plus it would drive me insane.