Looking for teaching assistant course in Sheffield

Hi everyone !!

just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in sheffield where i might be able to do a teaching assistants course level 2 or 3 - part-time , either evenings or weekends ?

I currently volunteer one day a week in a primary school , so the placement side of it would be covered but at the moment , i cannot afford to drop a day at my paid job, to go to college during normal hours .

Any help gratefully recieved !!!!!

sheffield college run nvq courses, check their website, i think you will have to pay for it, also have you asked at your primary school many have parent support workers who could give you info, or try learn direct website

I was looking at doing a teaching assistant course but then changed it to child day care (as this gives you more outlets once the course is finished)

I am doing it as a home study course, as i work full time. All together it's cost £325 and isnt taking long at all, i started it around a month ago and almost half way through!

It's with UK Open College, they do all different child care courses including teaching assistant... just depends if your wanting to go to college as a way of meeting people... otherwise i would highly recommend the home studying!!

many thanks for your replies !!!

Sheffield college, sheaf training or you can sometimes train at the school you work at.

Sheffield College used to do both the CACHE diploma (level 3) and CACHE certificate (level 2) in childcare and education on a part time basis. I'm not sure if they still do but it's worth a try. If your thinking of taking your career further in the future doing the training this way rather than through NVQ's will enable you to progress on to university if this is something you would like to do. I did the CACHE diploma and am now studying at Hallam Uni part time to become a teacher.

hi im a teaching assistant, i did the level 3 diploma as a full time course but i believe you can do it part time just takes alot longer. the plus side is your not just qualified as a ta but for lots of other jobs too. If your sure you wanna be a ta theres also a ta training course, takes 2days a week plus studying and assignments in your own time, doing that you can be qualified in a year if you meet your assignments dates. not sure the exact title of the course but il find out as im training someone at work whos doing it. best place to look would be college id of thought.

great -thanks !!- im a qualified nursery nurse working in a private day nursery but am wanting to move into a school enviroment.

i know TA'S who are working with my qualification - NVQ 3 in childcare and education - but just thought that extra TA training would give me that extra boost !

do you work 5days a week? just... if you dont and youve already got a level 3 qualification might be a good idea to volenteer at a local school? looks good on your cv.

thanks - i work 4 days in a private nursery and volunteer 1 day a week in local school

i know TA jobs have lots of applicants so thought some extra training might give me a edge in interviews

i think i need to refresh on child protection policies , new behavioural approaches etc that may have changed a little since i qualified a few years back , although we have ongoing training at nursery .