Train Station closed to non ticket holders

Yes, as tram ticket holders will be allowed through. Seems the logical compromise.

I am the proud holder of a megarider. Every week I purchase one for the bargain price of £12 (this allows me to use the tram network for one whole week, and also to use Stagecoach buses at any time too!). I deserve to walk through my home city station whensoever I please.

So I could buy a Tram daysaver (£3?), get through the barriers, and then attempt to fare dodge my way to Wakefield on the train (£8?)

Seems a good deal to me!

Indeed. Unless you get asked to show your ticket on the platform, train or at the barriers at the other end (which if not already in place, will surely come). And if they see/suspect you of doing that every day, they'll catch up with you eventually. Of course, you could just choose be legal.

It's not a way to stop every fare evader, but it will make it more difficult.

Or will I be forced to take a half mile detour to get to the tram stop?

Sorry, been keeping quiet, but HALF MILE? My messroom is by the alternative bridge. I'll have to tell my bosses it's quarter of a mile away from the station. :loopy:

I am the proud holder of a megarider. Every week I purchase one for the bargain price of £12 (this allows me to use the tram network for one whole week, and also to use Stagecoach buses at any time too!). I deserve to walk through my home city station whensoever I please.
Why? You don't own the station. There's no public right of way.

But you're in luck, as they've said they'll let you do so anyway.

Indeed. Unless you get asked to show your ticket on the platform, train or at the barriers at the other end (which if not already in place, will surely come). And if they see/suspect you of doing that every day, they'll catch up with you eventually. Of course, you could just choose be legal.

It's not a way to stop every fare evader, but it will make it more difficult.

Wakefield dont have barriers.

Anyway, its not a practice I indulge in, its just a theory.

And why would you be asked for your ticket on the platform, if they have filtered out all the non-ticket holders further up the system?

As hotphil stated many if not most train stations now have barriers - although personally i cannot see how this makes train stations any safer. I can understand it in London and any station within commuting distance as any reduction in unnessessary people on the platforms is a bonus.

And sheffield now seems to be the only major station apart from newcastle that does not have barriers in place and is a great idea to cut down on the number of people not buying tickets and maybe as a result ticket prices will not continue to increase

Im sure if you show that you have a valid tram ticket you would be allowed to pass through to the tram stop as it has access from the station and this is how it works in nottingham

Can anyone think of any other major train station in the UK where it also doubles as a major thoroughfare for people not using the station facilities?

Because I certainly can't.

So how was the situation, whereby the only feasible place to get from A to B is to pass through the train station, allowed to happen in the first place?

Only in Sheffield...

York and I think Lancaster.

The railway bridge was designed as a public thoroughfare when it was built by SCC and MM. MM lost their franchise and EMT are giving the city a big two fingers up so they can make staffing cut backs.

And why would you be asked for your ticket on the platform, if they have filtered out all the non-ticket holders further up the system?
Because as you've pointed people with only a tram ticket who wanted to avoid paying a train fare could make it to the platform. And the wording of the penalty fare scheme last time I checked included something along the lines of "it's an offence to not produce when asked a valid ticket and any supporting passes etc for your entire journey" - they might ask you to show it on the platform as you're on railway property - no exclusion on where they can ask you to show your ticket.

Well i showed my tram ticket this morning and was told your to use the other bridge , so no they was not allowing tram ticket holders on the bridge this morning

As hotphil stated many if not most train stations now have barriers - although personally i cannot see how this makes train stations any safer. I can understand it in London and any station within commuting distance as any reduction in unnessessary people on the platforms is a bonus.

And sheffield now seems to be the only major station apart from newcastle that does not have barriers in place and is a great idea to cut down on the number of people not buying tickets and maybe as a result ticket prices will not continue to increase

Im sure if you show that you have a valid tram ticket you would be allowed to pass through to the tram stop as it has access from the station and this is how it works in nottingham

Leicester and Leeds are the only ones I can think of. Birmingham keep installing them and then ripping them out again because they can't decide which makes the most money (because machines can't check people are actually buying the right fares like conductors can).

The railway bridge was designed as a public thoroughfare when it was built by SCC and MM. MM lost their franchise and EMT are giving the city a big two fingers up so they can make staffing cut backs.

It's not EMT, it's the clauses within the franchise. The clauses were put in by the government. I suppose that isn't as sensationalist as your reason though, no matter how incorrect it is.

Can anyone think of any other major train station in the UK where it also doubles as a major thoroughfare for people not using the station facilities?

Because I certainly can't.

So how was the situation, whereby the only feasible place to get from A to B is to pass through the train station, allowed to happen in the first place?

Only in Sheffield...

and also woking and many others