Train Station closed to non ticket holders

The chat went like this can you all show yout train tickets please, at which a few people explained they were walking through to go to university , bus station etc well you must use the bridge 200 yards up to towards Granville road

I trust the rail company are paying for the police hours?
It'll surely only be a couple more than are normally on duty there? Not like a football match. Personally, I don't mind my tax helping to fund the occasional copper participating in an exercise where they'll almost certainly catch some thieves. Seems a more effective use for one day every few months than foot patrol.

i would assume it will the same at the front entrance as i say have you got train tickets if not you must use other bridge that way ie right towards granville road

The Tram driver informed us that they are doing structural testing on the bridge you have to use the old bridge just a bit further up the station is open as usual.

as anyone used that other bridge well let me tell you very attractive it is not full of bloody graffiti, more payout for the council now to clean it up now its gonna be used a lot more by thousands of new people everyday

i would assume it will the same at the front entrance as i say have you got train tickets if not you must use other bridge that way ie right towards granville road

What about people going to see people off on their train? My mum comes to visit us by train and as an OAP she needs me to be there to see her off/arrive?

whats most angering is that EMT are denying a safe, sheltered walkway with a disbled lift for vunrable people coming from behind the station or from a tram. Asking elderly and disabled people to use the frankly danagerous pedestrian bridge is a disgrace.

All in the name of profit.

Edited by gravity426

I trust the rail company are paying for the police hours?

The railway has it's own police force, British Transport Police, which the railway already pays for.

The station isn't "closed to non ticket holders" but anyone without a ticket can't pass through or get to the trains. Non ticket holders are still able to enter the station.

whats most angering is that EMT are denying a safe, sheltered walkway with a diabled lift for vunrable people coming from behind the station or from a tram. Asking elderly and disabled people to use the frankly danagerous pedestrian bridge is a disgrace.
They've stated that access for such groups will be maintained when they put permanent barriers in. And are they really preventing those folk from using the bridge today?

What about people going to see people off on their train? My mum comes to visit us by train and as an OAP she needs me to be there to see her off/arrive?
If you ask, they'll probably let you on. If they don't, ask to speak to a manager - they're quite human and are sure to see that you need to assist your mum. They might ask you to buy a platform ticket for a few pence though.

The station isn't "closed to non ticket holders" but anyone without a ticket can't pass through or get to the trains. Non ticket holders are still able to enter the station.
So I could go into the station from the front and wander about in there, but I can't get off at the tramstop behind to go into the station to buy a train ticket or make enquiries about travel, unless I already have a ticket? :huh:

Bizarre ...

You can buy (some) tickets tram-side. Or cross the tracks at one of the other (less convenient) crossings, or see what they say when you ask to be let through to the enquiries office for one day while they're doing the checks. Simples.