Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (Part 2)

Here are a couple of, slightly out of focus, photos I snapped in opposite directions around 1990 showing steelworks buildings at the junction of Adsetts Street and Carlisle Street East during demolishion. The majority of both photos show Adsetts Street.

I remember the buildings well as I lived on that street from birth in 1943 to 1958.

Does anyone else remember them?

Peter.

I lived on Adsetts Street from approx 1955 until our house was demolished in 1970 and well remember the cobble stones of the street and the large number of people who played football along Adsetts Street and across the bottom of Bland Street, which is of course very close to the site of your photos. Happy days indeed.

Edited by esme
Quote tags

Here are a couple of, slightly out of focus, photos I snapped in opposite directions around 1990 showing steelworks buildings at the junction of Adsetts Street and Carlisle Street East during demolishion. The majority of both photos show Adsetts Street.

I remember the buildings well as I lived on that street from birth in 1943 to 1958.

Peter.

IMG_3402_zps3ee5b825.jpg

IMG_3401_zps7c36be22.jpg

Great pictures can remember them like it was yesterday!

Peter.

I lived on Adsetts Street from approx 1955 until our house was demolished in 1970 and well remember the cobble stones of the street and the large number of people who played football along Adsetts Street and across the bottom of Bland Street, which is of course very close to the site of your photos. Happy days indeed.

Hi benbob,

I spoke to someone a few years ago who worked in the 70s in the big building which still exists at the bottom on Bland Street. Said it was British Steel labs then. Looks like it was built later than the ones on the photos, maybe '30s. He said they found some WW2 A.R.P. arm bands in an old cupboard.

I used to sledge down Draper Street on the sledge my dad made for me 65 years ago. Still have it and also cine of my daughter on it 40 years ago! Yes, 'happy days'.

Peter.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 11:06 ----------

Great pictures can remember them like it was yesterday!

Me too pigeon!

Edited by esme
Quote tags

Hi benbob,

I spoke to someone a few years ago who worked in the 70s in the big building which still exists at the bottom on Bland Street. Said it was British Steel labs then. Looks like it was built later than the ones on the photos, maybe '30s. He said they found some WW2 A.R.P. arm bands in an old cupboard.

I used to sledge down Draper Street on the sledge my dad made for me 65 years ago. Still have it and also cine of my daughter on it 40 years ago! Yes, 'happy days'.

Peter.

---------- Post added 17-12-2013 at 11:06 ----------

Me too pigeon!

I used to live next door but one to the chemical laboratory, I used to deliver T he Star there every day, just went in doorway and waited, then all who wanted one came and bought one, I also remember when I was about 5 yrs old, some-one from there came out with a box of A.R.P. badges and gave them out to all the kids.

Edited by esme
Quote tags

I used to live next door but one to the chemical laboratory, I used to deliver T he Star there every day, just went in doorway and waited, then all who wanted one came and bought one, I also remember when I was about 5 yrs old, some-one from there came out with a box of A.R.P. badges and gave them out to all the kids.

That's a lovely story TFishcake.

Edited by esme
Quote tags

Can vaguely remember that Jad279,see if I can find anything out.

---------------------

Hey up Sheila, Been looking at that list of numbers on Hunsley sy,

didn't Mrs Harrison at 50 Hunsley st have a daughter in bus stop yard.

Brian. Hope your ready for Christmas. x

Does anyone have an old street map showing the roads that Collins Swap shop and Oldfields dairy were on, I can remember the old bus shelter at the end of Peter St where we used to swing somersaults over the handrail but the road configuration has gone both physically and in my head. Where did the number 4 bus used to go after the end of Peter St

---------------------

Hey up Sheila, Been looking at that list of numbers on Hunsley sy,

didn't Mrs Harrison at 50 Hunsley st have a daughter in bus stop yard.

Brian. Hope your ready for Christmas. x

Do they still hold Christmas in the Grime or as it gone OOOOW "The Holiday Season":gag::gag::gag:

Does anyone have an old street map showing the roads that Collins Swap shop and Oldfields dairy were on, I can remember the old bus shelter at the end of Peter St where we used to swing somersaults over the handrail but the road configuration has gone both physically and in my head. Where did the number 4 bus used to go after the end of Peter St

Hi Shooter,

If this helps any, towards Grimesthorpe from town with the bus shelter on the right. Petre Street ended where Hunsley Street crossed the end of it, this is where buses made a right turn down Hunsley Street to Carlisle Road (this part known locally as Crown Hill because of the Crown pub there) and to the T junction with Carlisle Street East. However, a left at the end of Hunsley Street and immediate right (only a couple of yards) brought you onto the steep hill of Moss Street where Oldfields dairy was on the left near the top of the hill. A straight line downhill brought you to the T junction with Carlisle Road. In 1957 when I left Grimesthorpe, Collins swap shop was on Carlisle Road but later,I understand, it moved to Grimesthorpe Road which ran parallel and to the left of Moss Street. The current road layout is that Petre Street continues onto what was Moss Street and then bears right across what were Clevedon Street and Draper Street and meets the T junction at Carlisle Street East on what was part of Adsetts Street.

Hope you can make sense of this,

regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian, I lived in the yard behind bus stop, the people who lived there were as follows:: Hemmingway's green grocers & beer off, an old lady called Mrs Black, Mrs Room, Mrs Limb, then my mum & dad Shaw's & lastly Mrs Ringrose there house was the last in the yard. I would like to wish every one a merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous 2014 Jean J

Hi Brian, I lived in the yard behind bus stop, the people who lived there were as follows:: Hemmingway's green grocers & beer off, an old lady called Mrs Black, Mrs Room, Mrs Limb, then my mum & dad Shaw's & lastly Mrs Ringrose there house was the last in the yard. I would like to wish every one a merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous 2014 Jean J

--------------------

Hi Jean J, The bus stop directly from your yard i remember a Mrs Room

i think she had a daughter in next house and she had a limp, i think

she had a husband aswell.

How long did you live there upto the houses coming down. Brian.

Edited by brian1941
spelling

Hi Brian I left in 1960. Mrs Room did have a husband, she had two daughters can't remember the older ones name, the younger one was called Joyce she had a limp and she took Mrs Blacks house after she died. Jean J