Is it just me or have I seen the light?

2009: Landfill is overflowing so we need to reduce the empting of bins to fortnightly

1969: Bins emptied weekly, most packing materials were used to light the coal fire.

2009: The banks have spent all the money they were meant to be saving.

1969: No credit cards, no cash machines, if you didn’t have you couldn’t spend it.

2009: Kids assault the teachers, rob the old and infirm - police are powerless to stop it.

1969: Naughty kids got a slap from the teacher, got a clip from the coppers, and got the belt from the parents. And if they were really bad, it was all three.

2009: Speeding kills; put bumps in the road, no money left to fill the pot holes

1969: Not many people could afford cars see above.

2009: Email, mobile phone, text, fax, courier, instant messaging, Adult literacy at lowest ever, Post office in crisis.

1969: You write a letter post it two or three days later it arrives. A few days later you get a reply, plenty of work for the post office.

2009: Binge drinking at all time high.

1969: Beatles, rock and roll night club springing up all over choice of Best Bitter or Mild, most drank lemonade. No sweet alcopops or lager or draft strong cider.

2009: Obesity reaches critical point.

1969: People walked to work, had physical jobs no cars (see above) no call centers.

I'm I could go on all night but its over to you:

Frankly, I think you've seen the s-h-y-t-e.

Sorry, I'll expand on that. What you're seeing is more of what you didn't see back then. It's an illusion of consciousness. You have opened your eyes to the ugliest forms of human nature and progress.

My advice would be to trust in yourself and your own self determination. Don't let the side-effects of modern society drag you down. Everything that is happening around you should happen beneath you, not around you.

Edited by epiphany

2009: Landfill is overflowing so we need to reduce the empting of bins to fortnightly

1969: Bins emptied weekly, most packing materials were used to light the coal fire.

2009: The banks have spent all the money they were meant to be saving.

1969: No credit cards, no cash machines, if you didn’t have you couldn’t spend it.

2009: Kids assault the teachers, rob the old and infirm - police are powerless to stop it.

1969: Naughty kids got a slap from the teacher, got a clip from the coppers, and got the belt from the parents. And if they were really bad, it was all three.

2009: Speeding kills; put bumps in the road, no money left to fill the pot holes

1969: Not many people could afford cars see above.

2009: Email, mobile phone, text, fax, courier, instant messaging, Adult literacy at lowest ever, Post office in crisis.

1969: You write a letter post it two or three days later it arrives. A few days later you get a reply, plenty of work for the post office.

1969: Beatles, rock and roll night club springing up all over choice of Best Bitter or Mild, most drank lemonade. No sweet alcopops or lager or draft strong cider.

2009: Obesity reaches critical point.

1969: People walked to work, had physical jobs no cars (see above) no call centers.

I'm I could go on all night but its over to you:

The only problem is you could write a list 20 times as long of things that are much better now... if it wasn't a waste of time because we don't have time machines.

Frankly, I think you've seen the s-h-y-t-e.

Sorry, I'll expand on that. What you're seeing is more of what you didn't see back then. It's an illusion of consciousness. You have opened your eyes to the ugliest forms of human nature and progress.

My advice would be to trust in yourself and your own self determination. Don't let the side-effects of modern society drag you down. Everything that is happening around you should happen beneath you, not around you.

:huh:

How much do I owe you for the therapy.

There wasn't much of that in 1969!

:huh:

How much do I owe you for the therapy.

There wasn't much of that in 1969!

I was talking about this with my dad on the phone the other day. He's always thought, generally, things are better now.

Technological advancement has played a huge part in the raising of minimum standards - which is good. More and more people have access to basic living standards today.

Problem is, progress demands sacrifice. What you see as degeneration could just be a shift, new problems arising where old problems have been fixed. It could also be that these things are reported more, and constantly shoved in our faces, as if we must highlight the worst aspects of society and take the progress for granted. I suppose this is a good way of continuously striving to iron out the undesirable aspects.

I'm guessing you're getting your "big picture" of society from the media. The media is a divisive tool. It is very good at making the older generations feel they don't understand where the world is going. The younger generations want change, and are prepared to accept the rough and tumble with the ride, the older generations want some sense of status quo, as the ride might be getting a little too bumpy for them.

Edited by epiphany

Lets break it down to what we know for real.

1. There is more packaging on products, why do apples need to be put in trays or bananas in plastic bags?

2. Cash was King it was hard earned and spent with thought

3. Kids had more respect and got a clip if they didn't.

4. Why bumps on roads? why not bring back the green cross code man?

5. Post office hasn't got enough work because of the change in communication technoloies.

6. Binge drinking is a social trend that has got steadlily worse, but the powers that be seem to do the normal blanket ban rather than target teh source.

7. How many Mc D were they in 1969, you were lucky to get more than fish and chips and then it was a treat not a staple diet.

Yes, the Beatles and the Stones were well known for their penchant for lemonade. No LSD or other drugs there either.