Lapatnicks and Patnicks in Sheffield from 1890

Is it all the same family and Aaron dropped The La prefix...

That's what I was wondering. The 1911 census includes eight Lapatnicks living in Sheffield, but of those who were old enough to have been included in the 1901 census, none correlates exactly with any of the four Lapatnicks recorded then, or any of the four "Patricks" recorded in 1901. The 1911 Lapatnicks are, with their ages:

Hyman M., 41, Sarah, 41, Aaron, 15, Ada, 13, Dora, 10, Leah, 8, Minnie, 5, Abraham, 2

Hmmmm...... So Nathan was 67 in 1901 and 81 in 1911, and by 1924 he had reached the ripe old age of 110. So this gives approximate birth years of 1814, 1830 and 1834.

I guess he simply didn't know how old he was.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread is very, very old. However, Nathan Lapatnick is my great, great, great grandfather. Incidentally, my surname is Lapp. Although the 'La' was dropped and Patnick was adopted as a means of sounding more English, my Grandma who was a Patnick married into the Lapp family. Myself and my nephew are very interested to learn more surrounding our extended family. I shall read the links provided on this thread!

16 hours ago, retep said:

Obsessed with work would be more like.

The Patnicks certainly worked hard in their junk shops. I remember a half hour or so spent with Aaron Patnick in the Langsett Road shop in 1965. He was an interesting man to talk to and, although I was only 17, I could see that he was quite a strong character who wasn't afraid to roll up his sleeves and work hard when the need arose.  And of course, I didn't leave without buying something - a two-shilling tea towel for my mum!

I recall a Patnick's second-hand clothing stall in the old Rag Market when I was a little kid in the '60's. I also recall that one of the Patnick men was involved in Sheffield politics and was  a city councillor in my youth - not sure who, but I think it was Irvine Patnick. I also recall that the Patnick family were very well respected in Sheffield in the '60's and 70's. I'm not saying that everyone liked and admired them, but I think a hell of a lot of Sheff people respected the Patnick  family as people who had overcome a lot of prejudice and hardship and had done really well for themselves.

Edited by nikki-red