Anyone been to ski village?

Last week was great as you say.

the south yorkshire alps!

skiing sucks

thanks for your productive, informative comment.

Yeah dont go, I cant believe the place is still open its a death trap !!!!!

I thought it shut years ago.

the 100 or so people up there tonight seemed to think it was open.

I've been to a lot of dry and indoor slopes around the country. I learnt to board on a dry slope (which is now an indoor slope) and loved it. Ski village is not much different. As slopes go it's pretty good. IMHO Castleford isn't that much better slope wise and the view from the piste is undeniably rubbish.

Learning on a dry slope is excellent for your technique, and serves as a very good base for later, more challenging slopes which demand more technical expertise. I have found friends and relatives who learnt on snow tended to have more sloppy technique which was ultimately their downfall. TBH falling on the thin snow covering the ice and concrete of an indoor slope is only slightly less painful than falling on a dry slope. I recall that the original snow dome at Tamworth was actually awful for being a solid sheet of ice rather than snow covering most of the slope. If you don't enjoy snow sports on a dry slope then it's unlikely that you will on an indoor one. But remember that learning something worthwhile is always a challenge.. and this is a place that's worth it.

Skivillage and X-scape are like most other slopes. The instructors generally know what they are doing but, in my experince, the kit guys and the desk bods are unhelpful miserable farts. Without exception, the customer service at ski places is shocking.

Took my OH for a lesson at Castleford and she got given a board that was way too big for her and consequently she didn't get on well. This was all because the guy handing out the equipment either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care. Unfortunately an experience I've had myself at times and something from which ski village is not immune.

My advice for all slopes would be get there early, make sure you have the right kit and that the boots fit properly and you are happy. Don't let them get away with fobbing you off with the nearest thing to hand. Be pushy, it's the only thing that gets you what you need. If you've never been before, make sure you read up a bit on the equipment and how it is supposed to feel when fitted, size of skis you'd need etc or take someone who does know.

PS if you want to buy equipment you won't go far wrong with Snow and Rock at ski village. The guys in there really know what they are talking about.

I learned the basics here many years ago. Still surprised at the lack of investment in this place - It has masses of potential.

The snow and rock shop at the village has a good selection of ski clothing and equipment. Their end of season sale has some excellent bargains.

investment is coming along slowly.

the new owner is committed to it as a successful business and the staff are all eager to work towards that. even as far as the staff where talking about seeding grass and cleaning it up as soon as the weather improves.

There is also a supply now of replacement matting for the slopes so that is ongoing as well.

i went a couple a weeks ago and the equipment isnt to the best quality and the slopes them selves are dangerous

i went a couple a weeks ago and the equipment isnt to the best quality and the slopes them selves are dangerous

well skiing itself is generally dangerous isnt it?, thats why people have been killed ?

I avoid dry and indoor slopes now, Geneva is only 2 hours flight away after all.

But I'd echo the comments about the lessons being really useful before you try it for real.