Has your life gone according to plan?

I've never had a plan for life. If I had, it certainly wouldn't have been the life I've had up to now, I can tell you that! On the other hand, I've not done badly out of it and have managed to make it through my formative years into adulthood reasonably successfully, albeit a little worse for wear ;)

I always find that life is like riding the rapids; no matter how much you keep the boat in check you're never really in control of where it takes you. Just hang on in there!

Does life ever go to plan.. I certainly didn't plan the last couple of years and I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed it :clap:

I changed careers at the end of Feb and never looked back, I'm still settling into the job but loving every day of it :thumbsup:

I'm never gonna plan life, I'm just gonna be grateful for everyday I have left :D

My life plan a few years ago was quite clear to me. I held up several smart young men as role models, (Ivan Massow being one of them), and was sure that by the time I was thirty, I would be settled and successful.

Never did I guess that my life story would resemble some ridiculous story penned jointly by Harold Pinter and Victoria Wood.

I have certainly had my share of hare-brained schemes and pipe-dreams; the time I decided to become a nurse, but was sick when the leaflets arrived from the NHS careers people arrived, after I saw a photo of childbirth. The time I wanted to become a store detective, and was nearly arrested in Asda while 'practicing'.

If you want to talk relationships, there's the guy that I had one date with who booked us a holiday the next day, and then stalked me. Or the time I totterred into HSBC on Fargate to use the minibank, and came out with a signicicant other.

So, life now; thirty, bitterly single, and jobless. Life plan? What bloomin' life plan! :help:

As a spirit I planned to have no life at all - then without my consent I became a fetus and was promptly delivered into the world - All went well for a few years leading what could often be refered to as a picture book existance - then the chemical power of my reproductive instincts kicked in. Again, I adapted, and reached a state of near perfection. Because it came easy I got rid of it easily and so it went along..... no regrets.... I don't know where I should be right now ... I never cared about a material existance ...if I should be here now then Ive reached my goal.

On the larger picture - I reckon one day when mankind is looked at from a distance people who were born in the 60's and 70's in he west, will be regarded as the luckiest of all humans - we are having the best ride of any generation so far or any Generation will ever experience in the future. Humans as a species will die out soon enough and return to pre-plague numbers!

Enjoy the rest of the evening!

I had plans to continue in my wonderful job until retirement age. Then 3 years ago, ill health suddenly struck, which has left me deaf in one ear, subject to constant tinnitus, and I have permanently lost almost two-thirds of my balance mechanisms, suffer from a lot of nuasea and have periodic vertigo attacks.

Never returned to work - and in any case, in my absence, my job has been abolished, and my staff have been reassigned to other jobs (which none of them wanted).

So, my life plan went up the spout. Now I try and live every day as it comes, though some of those can be crap beyond belief. But my son recovered from being paralysed below the waist, and my mum is still with us, despite being seriously ill earlier this year. Soon, the mountains of Wales will beckon once more. The potted plants in my back yard are giving me an amazing display of flowers, and I found a £1 coin down the back of the settee this afternoon! I've recently made a new friend on the forum, and was welcomed at an enjoyable forum meet last Sunday.

Hey, never mind this life plan business - it's actually not looking too bad on a day to day basis at the moment. Don't grow old, just keep on growing up.

Originally posted by redrobbo

I had plans to continue in my wonderful job until retirement age. Then 3 years ago, ill health suddenly struck, which has left me deaf in one ear, subject to constant tinnitus,

This rings a bell!

Originally posted by miniminch

Originally posted by redrobbo

I had plans to continue in my wonderful job until retirement age. Then 3 years ago, ill health suddenly struck, which has left me deaf in one ear, subject to constant tinnitus,

This rings a bell!

It's nice to see you making such a valuable contribution once again Miniminch. I take it you're still attending the charm school?

How can you plan your life! what happens, happens.

Thats life!

I think things are going reasonably close to my 'plan'.

Any plan is always subject to revision of course. And i have short term goals (quite clear), medium term (fuzzier), and long term (pretty damn out of focus).

Sometimes deadlines slip and things have to be put back, but i'm only 27 and I think everything is proceding remarkably closely to how i'd like.

I would of course like more $$$, a bigger house, a faster car with less seats and my own caribean island. But these things will all come (maybe not the island).

Currently i'm trying to balance putting a bit more drive into my career, in terms of certification and training in order to score the next promotion on time and also get lots of focus on my jiu jitsu for my upcoming grading in July. This is the big one, 8 years of training, 4 years since I last graded, and they've gone and added loads of new bits that all need to be learned, damn.

That's causing me some problems as putting energy into both things is a bit difficult, but I'll get there, I hope.

Originally posted by sayz

Thats life!

life happens to us, but you can certainly predict a lot of what's going to happen (or the possible outcomes). Having a plan allows you to pre form your decisions to certain outcomes and saves time when they happen (it may even help you get ahead by making the decision quickly).

You can't plan for everything, but planning for nothing (personally) would be very unconfortable.

Originally posted by sayz

Thats life!

And then, 20 or 30 or 40 years later, you say "what happened?" You drift from one place to another, wherever the current takes you, until you realise that you don't like where you are.

It is possible to take control of your life and get where you want to be. If you don't get exactly there - at least you will have moved in the right direction.

I had no real direction or plans and it has gone very badly.